Pale Danio?

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by graceo, Apr 18, 2017.

1. graceo

graceo Valued Member Member

I have three danios, two blue longfin and one zebra. They've all gotten along fine for months and months, having fun chases around the tank and generally enjoying themselves. A couple days ago, I noticed one of the blues was paler. Now, he looks much paler than the other two fish. I don't really understand why, since if it was anything like low oxygen or high parameters, all the fish would be affected. Last night, he was eating and playing normally, but today, I've noticed some "being bullied" type behavior, maybe. He is hiding behind an ornament a lot, and doesn't seem to want to chase as much. It's just strange because he was happy to chase everyone around before and vice versa. I understand that pale tends to mean stressed out, so I'm really trying to figure it out. If it was sickness, I feel like there'd be at least one other symptom, so I don't think it's that, either...
    I read a different forum which said it was pretty much out of your control and to just keep an eye on the fish in question, but I'm mostly wondering if anybody else has faced something similar. Thank you.

P.S. Since I'm asking more for if this has happened to you than solutions, I'm not going to post parameters or anything, especially since I think it's unrelated. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Danios should be in a larger group, so they are stressed from that. That chasing you see isn't necessarily friendly; danios can be bullies to each other in small groups. He may be getting picked on by the other two. I would either add more or rehome those if your tank isn't big enough for a group.

What size tank is this, and what fish do you have in there?

3. OP
    OP
    graceo

graceo Valued Member Member

It's a 20 gallon with 3 buenos aires tetras and 3 cories. I inherited some of them, so I didn't have much choice there. I feel like adding more danios would be overstocking and I am unable to rehome them, so... any other advice? Also, I feel like I would've noticed their stress sooner if the chasing was bullying based. They just randomly do it, what looks like for fun, anyway. They were perfectly healthy and content until just now, as far as I could tell.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

20 gal tall (24" long) or long (30" long)?

All of your fish should be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

Why can't you rehome them? Can you upgrade tanks? A 29 gal would be great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice