Pale Corydoras

Ikan

Reaction score
I have had my Sterbai Corydoras in QT for 1.5 weeks so far. They seem to be growing in confidence and eating more but a couple of them are lightening in colour but seem to be acting ok. You can see the difference in colour in the photos attached.
IMG_8256.jpeg

Should I be concerned about disease? I was planning on adding them to my main tank at the end of 2 weeks.

Attachments

Tristen

Reaction score
Ikan said:
I have had my Sterbai Corydoras in QT for 1.5 weeks so far. They seem to be growing in confidence and eating more but a couple of them are lightening in colour but seem to be acting ok. You can see the difference in colour in the photos attached.
IMG_8256.jpeg

Should I be concerned about disease? I was planning on adding them to my main tank at the end of 2 weeks.
First I would say you should quarantine for a month at minimum. It’s frustrating having to wait, but it is worth it. Fish can develop diseases two weeks in or even three and just end up infecting your main tank. I had some otos in my quarantine tank for 3 weeks and they all died out of no where. I’ve been quarantining and extra month to make sure it’s not a disease. Second I would say that color fading is usually due to stress or a diet change. There is no way to tell if it’s a disease unless they start to show more signs. I would say keep them quarantined for a month and see if any other symptoms develop.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some of my c. trilineatus are noticeably lighter than others also, and have been for months. I doubt if it's anything to be concerned about.

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I may keep them in quarantine a little longer to see if any changes in behaviour occurs, I definitely want to avoid making my Betta sick.

I was also wondering if they were changing shades based on the lighter colouring of the bare bottom tank. I have aquasoil in my main tank so it will be interesting to see how/if that effects their colouring.

DIYbetta

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that cories vary in colors, usually depending on the parents and batch of eggs. They could also be reacting to the bare bottom. One of my cories is a lot lighter than the rest of her friends, but she’s perfectly healthy.

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
DIYbetta said:
I’ve noticed that cories vary in colors, usually depending on the parents and batch of eggs. They could also be reacting to the bare bottom. One of my cories is a lot lighter than the rest of her friends, but she’s perfectly healthy.
I am thinking they might all be adjusting to the new environment in different ways. I can also imagine that my QT tank isnt the most comfortable environment as its quite bare. Maybe thats causing them stress?

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks healthy to me. I have panda cories ranging from ages 1-9 and they're all different shades.

Edit: Everyone quarantines their own way. Don't feel pressured to do more or less time. I quarantine bare bottom with just a sponge filter and an old tiki hut decoration for cover.

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Only thing is that Corys don't do great on a bare bottom too long.
is this because they cant forage through substrate? I kept my QT tank bare just for easy cleaning/disinfecting. They have potted plants as well as dark/hideout end of the aquarium we made by taping paper around the outside of the glass.

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
lojack said:
It looks healthy to me. I have panda cories ranging from ages 1-9 and they're all different shades.

Edit: Everyone quarantines their own way. Don't feel pressured to do more or less time. I quarantine bare bottom with just a sponge filter and an old tiki hut decoration for cover.
I am quite new to the hobby and have noticed so much variation in the time people QT their fish. I like the idea of keeping my QT as bare and simple as possible for ease of disinfection etc.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ikan said:
is this because they cant forage through substrate? I kept my QT tank bare just for easy cleaning/disinfecting. They have potted plants as well as dark/hideout end of the aquarium we made by taping paper around the outside of the glass.
No it appeared Corys benefit from (good) bacterial growth in (a thin layer of) substrate / sand. Corys longer kept in a bare bottom tank often show barbell-issues cause of the lack if those.

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
No it appeared Corys benefit from (good) bacterial growth in (a thin layer of) substrate / sand. Corys longer kept in a bare bottom tank often show barbell-issues cause of the lack if those.
Oh interesting! good to know. I read on another thread Corys prefer a mature substrate. This must be why!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ikan said:
Oh interesting! good to know. I read on another thread Corys prefer a mature substrate. This must be why!
Exact the same reason.
Also Red Blotch Disease often occures in case of brand new / unripe substrate for this reason.(experiences over the years, no science)

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Exact the same reason.
Also Red Blotch Disease often occures in case of brand new / unripe substrate for this reason.(experiences over the years, no science)
I have a planted tank using aquasoil as the substrate. How do you think the corys will do with this? I could rescape my tank and add a cap of sand over the aquasoil.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ikan said:
I have a planted tank using aquasoil as the substrate. How do you think the corys will do with this? I could rescape my tank and add a cap of sand over the aquasoil.
I am bot familiar with Aquasoil. If it doesn't to be capped I wouldn't.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ikan said:
I am quite new to the hobby and have noticed so much variation in the time people QT their fish. I like the idea of keeping my QT as bare and simple as possible for ease of disinfection etc.
I keep it bare bottom because it’s easier to siphon and also see what the poops look like. And like you said, easier to clean after breaking down.

If I ever get unlucky and have to treat the quarantine tank for something I’ll just end up tossing the old tiki hut decoration depending on the meds. I have a few old decorations I’ve collected over the years that are saved for cover just for my quarantine tank.

After you’ve been in the hobby for awhile you’ll learn what works for you. You’re doing the right thing by researching. Just remember its the internet and take everything with a grain of salt. What works for someone might not necessarily work for you, everyone’s tanks are different. You’ll end up picking and choosing methods and information that make sense to you. Good luck!

OP
Ikan

Ikan

Reaction score
I have another question about their health (sorry for not including it initially). I have noticed a few of them have very short barbels and none of their barbels look as long as some pictures I've seen. Do young Corydoras have shorter barbels and they grow as they mature? or have been worn down before I received them?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ikan said:
I have another question about their health (sorry for not including it initially). I have noticed a few of them have very short barbels and none of their barbels look as long as some pictures I've seen. Do young Corydoras have shorter barbels and they grow as they mature? or have been worn down before I received them?
Think the latter but those can regrow.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ikan said:
I’ve found typically shorter when they’re younger.

New Threads