Paired Angels

LifeSAbeach

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got excited when I discovered that two of my Angels had paired. There was a whole bunch of eggs laid along the filter intake pipe. They appeared to be doing a good job warding off would be predators. My five ottos lost their favorite resting spot, and the nine black skirts were forced to keep their distance. My two dollars kept testing the waters, and a quick charge and peck sent them off. Curiously, the clown loaches didn't show much interest and although they were within striking distance, the angels ignored them.
I intended to take a video of them the next day - so fascinating how they protected their patch. all appeared fine when I left for work.
Returned home that afternoon to find the pipe totally cleaned of eggs.
Mrs Life returned home after dropping Alex off at school to find 'Ralphs' loach having a picnic, and totally ignoring the angels. It's the biggest of its group and Mrs Life waving her arms wasn't going stop its breakfast!
So next time eggs are laid, I'm wondering whether I can put up some kind of barrier?
I can't really scrape off the eggs to transfer them into another tank?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Life

Nice to see you on line as always. I've missed seeing you on line. Sorry to hear about your Angel eggs. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't separate the parents and the eggs the next time. If you can find some of that plastic mesh that some people use to separate betta tanks should work. I don't know that it comes in the size you will need for that large tank though. I'm sure some others will chime in before too long.

My best to you and the Mrs.!

Any new photos of your pond?

Ken

LifeSAbeach

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Life

Nice to see you on line as always. I've missed seeing you on line. Sorry to hear about your Angel eggs. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't separate the parents and the eggs the next time. If you can find some of that plastic mesh that some people use to separate betta tanks should work. I don't know that it comes in the size you will need for that large tank though. I'm sure some others will chime in before too long.

My best to you and the Mrs.!

Any new photos of your pond?

Ken
Hi Ken

I was thinking about how to divide it temporarily. There must be something on the market. My homemade ventures are always a disaster! The pond is on hold. Have not had time to set up the balustrade, so the fish are still in the other pond. I was tempted to shift them, but they'll probably die from shock if I'm working above them.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

LifeSAbeach

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ron, you could attach some of those mesh pieces together with plastic strips, I can't think of what you call them but you insert one end into the other end and pull it through. Once it's pulled through you can get it to go back out. The strips also come in different sizes. Maybe you'll know what I'm referring to. Here is a link to the mesh I'm referring to:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/dividing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/
Ken
Thanks for the link. Certainly worth a try. I'd have to move some rocks to get a flat bottom.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi life!!
I tried the mesh with mine and loaches.....and found my loaches behind it in the morning LOL
they are creative buggers....I ended up giving my angle pairs their own tank with cories in the end.....good luck in your adventure and congrats on the pairing!!

nice visual of the Mrs Life waving the loaches off

LifeSAbeach

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi life!!
I tried the mesh with mine and loaches.....and found my loaches behind it in the morning LOL
they are creative buggers....I ended up giving my angle pairs their own tank with cories in the end.....good luck in your adventure and congrats on the pairing!!

nice visual of the Mrs Life waving the loaches off
Hi Shawnie. Maybe some steel mesh will do the job! Here I go again experimenting. I've got some where the squares are less than one inch. Just have to be careful not to scratch the glass!

I bet she was yelling "come here Mr. Life, come here!"

Ken
I wasn't home at the time, but I don't think it would have been printable!:whistling:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom