Pair of honey gourami with guppies in 10g?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys. My friend is stocking a 10g. It's cycling right now, but she's looking into options for stock. Could a pair of honey gourami with 3 male guppies, and a snail work?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could, but probably won’t. Guppies are very, very annoying. They’re known to need 7 males in a group to form an appropriate hierarchy so they don’t kill each other with constant harassment. If your friend wants guppies, I’d go 7-10 in a 10 gallon and that’s it. I personally like the stocking options of 4 platy fish, OR 2-3honey gouramis. I have owned both types of fish and they are both very peaceful and soothing to watch. The guppies stress me out.

Stocking options for a 10 gallon are listed here:
Stocking List for 10 Gallons | 207629 | Aquarium Stocking Questions

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
UnknownUser said:
It could, but probably won’t. Guppies are very, very annoying. They’re known to need 7 males in a group to form an appropriate hierarchy so they don’t kill each other with constant harassment. If your friend wants guppies, I’d go 7-10 in a 10 gallon and that’s it. I personally like the stocking options of 4 platy fish, OR 3-4 honey gouramis. I have owned both types of fish and they are both very peaceful and soothing to watch. The guppies stress me out.

3-4 honey gourami in a 10g?

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UnknownUser said:
It could, but probably won’t. Guppies are very, very annoying. They’re known to need 7 males in a group to form an appropriate hierarchy so they don’t kill each other with constant harassment. If your friend wants guppies, I’d go 7-10 in a 10 gallon and that’s it. I personally like the stocking options of 4 platy fish, OR 3-4 honey gouramis. I have owned both types of fish and they are both very peaceful and soothing to watch. The guppies stress me out.

I currently have guppies and I love watching the color and action all over the tank.

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
I currently have guppies and I love watching the color and action all over the tank.

Why don't you ask her to go with guppies alone.
Considering what @UnknownUser is stating...
7-8 males might be the way to go...

Is it her first tank?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry, I meant 2-3. I will edit. I do personally think 2-3 honeys fit a 10 gal, I had 3 in for a while for QT and they were very happy, showing mating behaviors and bubble nesting

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ken Kanatsu said:
Why don't you ask her to go with guppies alone.
Considering what @UnknownUser is stating...
7-8 males might be the way to go...

Is it her first tank?
I'm trying to help her get it right this time. She has kept 5 different bettas and 2 different goldfish (all at separate times) in a .4 gallon unfiltered unheated uncycled bowl. She's trying to do it right this time.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UnknownUser said:
Sorry, I meant 2-3. I will edit. I do personally think 2-3 honeys fit a 10 gal, I had 3 in for a while for QT and they were very happy, showing mating behaviors and bubble nesting
Could she do 2 honeys and 3 mollies?

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
I'm trying to help her get it right this time. She has kept 5 different bettas and 2 different goldfish (all at separate times) in a .4 gallon unfiltered unheated uncycled bowl. She's trying to do it right this time.
Then all more of a reason to be slightly stern about certain things. It would probably be easier for her to maintain an understocked tank.

Let her fall in love with these animals not only for the aesthetics but also for what they are...
They have their own set of needs first before fulfilling their duty as a visual charm.

Sorry. If I worded that impolitely.
Cheers!

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
Mollies again need bigger tanks... and by experience... I think they do better in larger groups.

So... preferably not.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ken Kanatsu said:
Then all more of a reason to be slightly stern about certain things. It would probably be easier for her to maintain an understocked tank.

Let her fall in love with these animals not only for the aesthetics but also for what they are...
They have their own set of needs first before fulfilling their duty as a visual charm.

Sorry. If I worded that impolitely.
Cheers!
you're totally fine. I understand :)

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
No, mollies don’t fit in a 10 gal. They produce a high bioload and can get up to 5 inches. They are also pretty aggressive when they don’t have enough territory, from my experience. Platys are basically mollys but smaller and nicer :)

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay. As of now, she's planning on getting 6-7 male guppies and a mystery snail. Will this work? If she falls in love with gourami (dwarf or honey) at pet store, she will go with 1 dwarf and snail, or 2 honeys and snail. Will these options work?

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
Okay. As of now, she's planning on getting 6-7 male guppies and a mystery snail. Will this work? If she falls in love with gourami (dwarf or honey) at pet store, she will go with 1 dwarf and snail, or 2 honeys and snail. Will these options work?
I think it would do well.
What sort of filtration would she be using?

You can't have too much flow with smaller fish...
Also... does the tank have a proper lid? Snails often have a tendency to escape...

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Dwarfs for sure need a bigger tank, they certainly are not dwarves.

I imagine a male/female pair of honeys could work, or some sparkling gouramis.
FishGirl115 said:

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:

I really did think 1 dwarf would do fine in 10 gallons...

Sorry for the misinformation then.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ken Kanatsu said:
I think it would do well.
What sort of filtration would she be using?

You can't have too much flow with smaller fish...
Also... does the tank have a proper lid? Snails often have a tendency to escape...
she's using a sponge filter. Yes to lid.
FinalFins said:

Really? I know a few people who have dwarf gouramis in 10gs and they're happy and healthy

New Threads