Pair of honey gourami with guppies in 10g?

FishGirl115
Hey guys. My friend is stocking a 10g. It's cycling right now, but she's looking into options for stock. Could a pair of honey gourami with 3 male guppies, and a snail work?

Ken Kanatsu
I would do only one honey gourami in the tank

UnknownUser
It could, but probably won’t. Guppies are very, very annoying. They’re known to need 7 males in a group to form an appropriate hierarchy so they don’t kill each other with constant harassment. If your friend wants guppies, I’d go 7-10 in a 10 gallon and that’s it. I personally like the stocking options of 4 platy fish, OR 2-3honey gouramis. I have owned both types of fish and they are both very peaceful and soothing to watch. The guppies stress me out.

Stocking options for a 10 gallon are listed here:
Stocking List for 10 Gallons | 207629 | Aquarium Stocking Questions

Ken Kanatsu
UnknownUser said:
It could, but probably won’t. Guppies are very, very annoying. They’re known to need 7 males in a group to form an appropriate hierarchy so they don’t kill each other with constant harassment. If your friend wants guppies, I’d go 7-10 in a 10 gallon and that’s it. I personally like the stocking options of 4 platy fish, OR 3-4 honey gouramis. I have owned both types of fish and they are both very peaceful and soothing to watch. The guppies stress me out.

3-4 honey gourami in a 10g?

FishGirl115
UnknownUser said:
It could, but probably won’t. Guppies are very, very annoying. They’re known to need 7 males in a group to form an appropriate hierarchy so they don’t kill each other with constant harassment. If your friend wants guppies, I’d go 7-10 in a 10 gallon and that’s it. I personally like the stocking options of 4 platy fish, OR 3-4 honey gouramis. I have owned both types of fish and they are both very peaceful and soothing to watch. The guppies stress me out.

I currently have guppies and I love watching the color and action all over the tank.

Ken Kanatsu
FishGirl115 said:
I currently have guppies and I love watching the color and action all over the tank.

Why don't you ask her to go with guppies alone.
Considering what UnknownUser is stating...
7-8 males might be the way to go...

Is it her first tank?

UnknownUser
Sorry, I meant 2-3. I will edit. I do personally think 2-3 honeys fit a 10 gal, I had 3 in for a while for QT and they were very happy, showing mating behaviors and bubble nesting

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
Why don't you ask her to go with guppies alone.
Considering what UnknownUser is stating...
7-8 males might be the way to go...

Is it her first tank?
I'm trying to help her get it right this time. She has kept 5 different bettas and 2 different goldfish (all at separate times) in a .4 gallon unfiltered unheated uncycled bowl. She's trying to do it right this time.

FishGirl115
UnknownUser said:
Sorry, I meant 2-3. I will edit. I do personally think 2-3 honeys fit a 10 gal, I had 3 in for a while for QT and they were very happy, showing mating behaviors and bubble nesting
Could she do 2 honeys and 3 mollies?

Ken Kanatsu
FishGirl115 said:
I'm trying to help her get it right this time. She has kept 5 different bettas and 2 different goldfish (all at separate times) in a .4 gallon unfiltered unheated uncycled bowl. She's trying to do it right this time.
Then all more of a reason to be slightly stern about certain things. It would probably be easier for her to maintain an understocked tank.

Let her fall in love with these animals not only for the aesthetics but also for what they are...
They have their own set of needs first before fulfilling their duty as a visual charm.

Sorry. If I worded that impolitely.
Cheers!

Ken Kanatsu
FishGirl115 said:
Mollies again need bigger tanks... and by experience... I think they do better in larger groups.

So... preferably not.

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
Then all more of a reason to be slightly stern about certain things. It would probably be easier for her to maintain an understocked tank.

Let her fall in love with these animals not only for the aesthetics but also for what they are...
They have their own set of needs first before fulfilling their duty as a visual charm.

Sorry. If I worded that impolitely.
Cheers!
you're totally fine. I understand

UnknownUser
FishGirl115 said:
No, mollies don’t fit in a 10 gal. They produce a high bioload and can get up to 5 inches. They are also pretty aggressive when they don’t have enough territory, from my experience. Platys are basically mollys but smaller and nicer

FishGirl115
Okay. As of now, she's planning on getting 6-7 male guppies and a mystery snail. Will this work? If she falls in love with gourami (dwarf or honey) at pet store, she will go with 1 dwarf and snail, or 2 honeys and snail. Will these options work?

Ken Kanatsu
FishGirl115 said:
Okay. As of now, she's planning on getting 6-7 male guppies and a mystery snail. Will this work? If she falls in love with gourami (dwarf or honey) at pet store, she will go with 1 dwarf and snail, or 2 honeys and snail. Will these options work?
I think it would do well.
What sort of filtration would she be using?

You can't have too much flow with smaller fish...
Also... does the tank have a proper lid? Snails often have a tendency to escape...

FinalFins
Dwarfs for sure need a bigger tank, they certainly are not dwarves.

I imagine a male/female pair of honeys could work, or some sparkling gouramis.
FishGirl115 said:

Ken Kanatsu
FinalFins said:

I really did think 1 dwarf would do fine in 10 gallons...

Sorry for the misinformation then.

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
I think it would do well.
What sort of filtration would she be using?

You can't have too much flow with smaller fish...
Also... does the tank have a proper lid? Snails often have a tendency to escape...
she's using a sponge filter. Yes to lid.
FinalFins said:

Really? I know a few people who have dwarf gouramis in 10gs and they're happy and healthy

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
Will she use live plants?
I am working on getting some for her, but she might not

Ken Kanatsu
FishGirl115 said:
Fair enough.
All the best to both of you.

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
Fair enough.
All the best to both of you.
Thank you very much for your help. We appreciate it

Ken Kanatsu
FishGirl115 said:
Thank you very much for your help. We appreciate it
You're welcome.

P.S.
I'm was pretty amused as well. It's 3am here.
I have an exam tomorrow... did not finish yet, sleepy.
So speaking to people about the hobby does keep me awake! Lol.

Cheers!

UnknownUser
FishGirl115 said:
Really? I know a few people who have dwarf gouramis in 10gs and they're happy and healthy
It’s hard to know if a fish is “happy” really. Dwarf gouramis can get up to 5 inches, again like a molly I would advise against it. We want what’s best for our fish, not just the bare minimum, y’know? I have harlequin rasboras in my 20 gallon because they were supposed to “fit” in that size, but after experiencing it I don’t think I would ever do it again, they just don’t have the swimming room. They don’t thrive. I think the same would happen with a dwarf gourami.

FishGirl115 said:
Real plants are great, but if she does go for fake plants make sure they’re silk. Especially for guppies. Non-silk fake plants can and will snag their beautiful tail fins and rip them.

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
You're welcome.

P.S.
I'm was pretty amused as well. It's 3am here.
I have an exam tomorrow... did not finish yet, sleepy.
So speaking to people about the hobby does keep me awake! Lol.

Cheers!
Aww! Sorry for keeping you awake! It's only 6pm here.

Ken Kanatsu
UnknownUser said:
It’s hard to know if a fish is “happy” really. Dwarf gouramis can get up to 5 inches, again like a molly I would advise against it. We want what’s best for our fish, not just the bare minimum, y’know? I have harlequin rasboras in my 20 gallon because they were supposed to “fit” in that size, but after experiencing it I don’t think I would ever do it again, they just don’t have the swimming room. They don’t thrive. I think the same would happen with a dwarf gourami.
Ahh.
If they grow to about 5inches, then a 10g is nowhere enough.

However this is the info available in Google...
I guess you need to crosscheck a lot of things..

FishGirl115 said:
Aww! Sorry for keeping you awake! It's only 6pm here.
I'm awake anyway...
Exam... as I said.

FishGirl115
Ken Kanatsu said:
I'm awake anyway...
Exam... as I said.
Ah. Okay.

FinalFins
FishGirl115 said:
she's using a sponge filter. Yes to lid.

You are looking at 2-3 inches for a dwarf gourami.

UnknownUser
Ken Kanatsu said:
Ahh.
If they grow to about 5inches, then a 10g is nowhere enough.

However this is the info available in Google...
I guess you need to crosscheck a lot of things..
Interesting, yeah, definitely look at multiple websites when it comes to fish. Lots of contradicting information out there. I have noticed there’s a LOT of confusing with gouramis in general. When I was looking for my honeys there were so many false honeys for sale that I had to figure out to find my REAL honeys.

Dwarf gouramis also are known to be unhealthy, so there’s that too.

Ken Kanatsu
UnknownUser said:
Interesting, yeah, definitely look at multiple websites when it comes to fish. Lots of contradicting information out there. I have noticed there’s a LOT of confusing with gouramis in general. When I was looking for my honeys there were so many false honeys for sale that I had to figure out to find my REAL honeys.

Dwarf gouramis also are known to be unhealthy, so there’s that too.
With that in mind...

Are three spot gourami and opaline gourami considered dwarf? Just a personal doubt.
I have 2 in a 90g.
Mine are slightly longer than 4 inch

UnknownUser
Ken Kanatsu said:
With that in mind...

Are three spot gourami and opaline gourami considered dwarf? Just a personal doubt.
I have 2 in a 90g.
Mine are slightly longer than 4 inch
Sorry, I don’t know much about those two types

Ken Kanatsu
UnknownUser said:
Sorry, I don’t know much about those two types
Hey!
It's that's always fine.

No one knows everything.

Cheers!

FinalFins
Ken Kanatsu said:
Three spots are not a small variety of gouramis. Opaline and three spots are the same species (Trichopodus trichopterus) and dwarf gouramis are a different species,(Trichogaster lalius).

Ken Kanatsu
FinalFins said:
Three spots are not a small variety of gouramis. Opaline and three spots are the same species (Trichopodus trichopterus) and dwarf gouramis are a different species,(Trichogaster lalius).
But even they grow to around 5inches...
The naming sense!

Which variety of Dwarf gourami grow that big?

jinjerJOSH22
Ken Kanatsu said:
But even they grow to around 5inches...
The naming sense!

Which variety of Dwarf gourami grow that big?
None, It wouldn't be a Dwarf if it did

UnknownUser
All fish can be different sizes. For example, I have one full grown black variant harlequin rasbora that is half the size of my other full grown black variant harlequin rasbora. Just because you personally have a dwarf variant that is only a bit over 4 inches, does not mean that a dwarf cannot end up being 5 inches.

jinjerJOSH22
UnknownUser said:
All fish can be different sizes. For example, I have one full grown black variant harlequin rasbora that is half the size of my other full grown black variant harlequin rasbora. Just because you personally have a dwarf variant that is only a bit over 4 inches, does not mean that a dwarf cannot end up being 5 inches.
I get this but average sizes are just that the average across the species and in aquaria fish rarely reach their potential wild sizes.
Dwarf Gourami(T. Lalius) generally don't get over 3" in aquaria.

Ken Kanatsu
UnknownUser said:
Now it's becoming complicated...

Lol.

So let's consider every fish can get an inch or so larger than normal when planning the stocking?

jinjerJOSH22
Ken Kanatsu said:
Now it's becoming complicated...

Lol.

So let's consider every fish can get an inch or so larger than normal when planning the stocking?
Go by the average and adjust if it happens. Weird example but houses aren't typically made to accommodate people who are 7' plus tall.

Ken Kanatsu
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Go by the average and adjust if it happens. Weird example but houses aren't typically made to accommodate people who are 7' plus tall.

Umm. Personal belief.
Adjusting later might be a problem sometimes... so if one can, they should keep some extra space... it always helps.

jinjerJOSH22
Ken Kanatsu said:

Umm. Personal belief.
Adjusting later might be a problem sometimes... so if one can, they should keep some extra space... it always helps.
Agreed, a bigger tank is always better.

To go back to the Op. I don't think DGs are a good fit in a 10 even at their average size, too active and with tankmates in a confined space often become quite aggressive.
Honey's are good fit and a trio would go nicely, however I wouldn't do them with Guppies personally. I find they're too boisterous for the generally calm Honey Gourami.

Another example of size, your Three Spots can reach 6", my largest is 5"ish in a 63.

Edit: a minimum size tank should be able to handle a fish growing slightly bigger, if not, well I doubt they'd be able to move

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom