Pair of clowns, Are They Sleeping:/

amanda jo holbrook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I have a fifty five gallon aquaurium.. The salinity is good the ph is good the nitrate and ammonia is good.. So I bought these clown fish a pair, very cute.. I woke up at like 300 am and they were floating on there sides to the top of the water, the fins are moving, are they sleeping.. I have seen that some people have similar behavior in there clowns.. Just double checking bc it is scaring me.. Also, I have started with 20 lbs of live rock..

sharkattack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

amanda jo holbrook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
clown fish.. What is a clown loach? I am so new to this.. I have read as so much.. Trying to absorb it all..

sharkattack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
a clown loach has similar colouration to a clown fish but it is a bottom feeder so it tends to dwell in the bottom third of the tank but a clown loach is a tropical fish so I was just worried that you were keeping a tropical fish species in a saltwater tank in which case the loaches would be dead or dying but that isn't the case which is a relief but unfortunately I'm not sure what the problem could be

amanda jo holbrook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thankyou for your help.. I googled it and several people say the clowns they do that..
I am going to call the guy from the fish store tomorrow.. He helpful.. He should know.. Its just the wierdest thing I have ever seen.

maintman55

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
strange?i had 2 ,now just 1.lost 1 ,he got stuck in a coral crevice and drowned? but i watch mine a lot,never saw them float sideways like that,,even after lights out.

amanda jo holbrook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very strange they are fine now.. Scared me to death.. But when I googled it.. SOme people said the clownfish that they have do the same thing.. Maybe they should be called heart attack fish they where floating I thought they where dead.. lol

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
clown fish do go into a sleep like state at night, mine sleep lying on a hairy mushroom colony i have, they sleep so deep, you can put your hand in the tank and touch them. they should be fine, just keep an eye on them. this is the fun part of the hobby, learning the behavior of our pets, granted they can give us a scare sometimes.

amanda jo holbrook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thankyou, for responding.. I called the fish guy who is awesome and very helpful.. He said yes they where sleeping I have never seen a fish do that.. It was kinda cute after they scared me.. I even touched them and they didn't move.. I would have called the fish guy but he isn't open at 300 am lol..

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
glad to help

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think fish are so cute when they sleep.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are these percula clownfish? They tend to sleep at the top of the water if there is no anemone. In fact they tend to stay at the top throughout the day unless there's an anemone. Ocellaris tend to stay in the top third of the tank. Tomato complex clowns tend to stay on the bottom.

amanda jo holbrook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, they are percula .. They are pretty hardy fish aren't they.. They seem to be doing pretty good.. Thankyou for responding

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Percs are pretty hardy. Slightly less tolerant of bad water than Ocellaris but they're no slouch in the hardiness category. Many people cycle their tanks with them. I wouldn't, but some people do.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom