Painted rocks?

1. PetCentralNotObsessed Initiate Member

Four or 5 months ago I bought a used 55 g aquarium setup complete w filters, air pump, various other equipment, gravel, decorations, fish too, (although my 3 albino tiger oscars currently inhabit it) from a private party. My ques is about the gravel, its cool looking, kind of an antiquey looking white, but when I look at a piece of it closely, it looks like a tan colored rock painted white and the white paint is chipping off! It doesn't come off easily and its not like I've seen white paint chips in the water or anything, but when I take a pliers to one of the rocks, I can get white stuff to come off of it. Do they really make aquarium gravel like this, has anyone else encountered this? Should I throw this gravel out and replace it?

Peggy

2. Jake the Fish Member Member

Well if you want to replace it put the gravel you have at the moment in a brand new stocking and leave it in the water for atleast 1 month. That way you can put the new gravel in without having to go into a semi cycle.

3. PetCentralNotObsessed Initiate Member

What do you mean by a brand new stocking? a nylon mesh bag? All of the gravel from this 55, or would part of it suffice; or maybe do it in stages if I do replace it? I don't really want to replace it, but I'm wondering if it would be advisable to replace it.

4. Jake the Fish Member Member

It really is you decision to change the substrate. If you choose to change the substrate you would have to put all the gravel in a nylon stocking (the kind girls wear).

Also, someone with more experience will come and tell you if you should change your gravel.

Good Luck. :;banaman

5. PetCentralNotObsessed Initiate Member

Thank you, good idea about the stocking so you don't have to start over with the bio filter.

6. Jake the Fish Member Member

No problem, maybe when its all ready you can post us some pictures. :)

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Great advice, Jake. :)

If paint is chipping off, I would be on the safe side and replace all of the gravel. Make sure the pantyhose is new, never seen soap, as Jake recommended. Keep it in a discreet corner of the tank for several weeks, then just pull out the whole thing and throw it out.

8. Jake the Fish Member Member

Thanks Meenu and Good Luck PetCentral.

Also Meenu could you have a look at my thread: Aquarium Decorations. I have a question for you. :)

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Most colored gravel is just gravel that is coated with an epoxy paint. It time the coating can begiin to chip off. I don't think it is particularly harmful to your fish. So I think you only need to replace it if you think it looks bad.

10. PetCentralNotObsessed Initiate Member

Hmmm, that is what I was hoping to hear. The gravel looks good. I was just worried it might be harmful to the fish.

I will post pictures soon. We are moving some fish around and setting up a new 220g tank for the oscars. This new tank is being seeded with water from all our other tanks, plus we have at least one (usually two) marineland emperor or penguin bio filters on most of our tanks, when setting up a new tank, we transfer bio wheels from the already established tanks to the new tank, and the other tanks might get one new bio wheel each, which we use a bacterial additive on. However, this should be our last new tank... really.