Painted Glass Fish?

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Zimbabwe, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Zimbabwe

ZimbabweNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    When I was visiting my local fish store, I noticed these "Painted Glass Fish" that had these horrible, gaudy colorations. I assume that they have been artificially colored, but is there any harm done to the fish? Also, are any other species of fresh water fish that are dyed like the glass fish? I am not planning on purchasing any of these dyed fish, I'm just curious.

2. Angela_96

Angela_96Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes painted and tatooed are artificially done! Please do not buy these fish! it is a cruel process and not natural to the fish!
    You might want to do a yahoo search to read the process yourself, after I read the process for the tatooing I was sickend!

3. swords3711

swords3711Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    NEVER EVER GET ANY ARTIFICIALLY COLORED FISH! It is very cruel and inhumane.
    Although the colors may be attractive, the fish will most likely die and about 90% had died in the process of the coloration.
    They suffer greatly for the stores to gain more profit.
    Just remember that for the future.
    They and the glofish which are painted danios are the two most common.

4. OP
    OP
    Zimbabwe

ZimbabweNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that you have warned me, I did a little bit of research on this topic, and I am horrified to know that these poor creatures are mutilated solely for cosmetic purposes. It is hard to imagine that my beloved LFS would carry these tortured fish. Seriously, we as fish enthusiasts should all ban together to outlaw such a HORRENDOUS practice. Anybody agree with me?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  5. angelfish220

angelfish220Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    5 years
    the problem is people see them, and impolsively buy them without knowing the cruelity they have been put through.

6. MissMTS

MissMTSFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    4 years
    I definetly agree with you. BTW I don't even think that dyed fish are attractive. They look like the result of a science experiment gone bad (which is pretty much what they are). Poor fishies

7. SereneReyn

SereneReynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    by the way the 'glo-fish' danios are NOT dyed/tattooed. they've been genetically engineered. the reason for this was originally to help detect pollution, etc... much less cruel, imho.

8. Eagles Fan

Eagles FanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    ya i just learned that...lol

9. Trio123

Trio123Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    ya I second SerenerReyn. It's unnatural and a possible threat to the environment but not really the same issue as the tattooed and dyed fish.

10. Fish Addict

Fish AddictWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Not only is the dying unnatural, and unnecessary, but it also places a huge amount of stress on the fish, which may cause it to die...

Also, the difference between Painted Fish and Glofish are one is injected with dyes and colorings, while Glofish just are injected with genes (I think I heard they were from some sort of Jellyfish...);:barf
    Every Painted Fish you see has been injected with the dyes, while on the other hand, Glofish may not, because it is genetic, so it can be passed down by parents.
    :;dete So overall while both Painted Fish and Glofish are inhumane and unnatural, Glofish would be the best decision, since the ones you are getting may not have the stress from being injected...

11. Ghostfish

GhostfishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I bought some painted glassfish as a kid not knowing what they were. I believe I was only around 8 or so. They all were dead within a week. It really is a nasty process and should be against the law.

12. FishQueen55

FishQueen55New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got some painted fish....I never really thought about it at the time, I thought it was just freakishly natural. I will never purchase one again, I never knew what they had to go through, mine aren't stressed though they're in a better place now, my tank. I don't approve of any harm done to fish...but I still love them the same

13. Butterfly

ButterflyFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +118
    Experience:
    More than 10 years