painted glass catfish

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by fishyfishyfishy13, Aug 20, 2010.

1. fishyfishyfishy13

fishyfishyfishy13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hi everyone!

I was in my lfs the other day and saw an old label for painted glass catfish. I know that they are tattooed and very frowned upon in the fishkeeping world as animal abuse, I do agree with this but once you look past that they are pretty cool looking even if they are tattoos :-\ I have to kind of admit I do sort of like them

2. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    And for the reason you mentioned they will continue to sell.

3. JRDroid

JRDroidWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    3 years
    I like the looks of mixed fruit tetras, which are dyed. I had a 30 gallon if my own when I was in elementary school and had some even. Now that I know they are dyed, I will never have them again.

4. ayelie

ayelieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have 2 painted glass tetras. I didn't know anything about dyed fish when I got them. And like you I thought they were cool looking. But I when I found out about them I went back to that store and gave them a heck for selling such a thing. I also told them I would no longer be getting my fish from.

I have been back to check out other thing and I notice they have up a thing that says they no loner sale dyed fish. I felt good about that.

I still don't buy fish there I have now found a locally owned store with a guy that really knows his stuff. He told me he had never carried that kind of thing and the only reason the other stores do is to make money off of something that should never be happening in the first place. They look pretty and kids are drawn to them time because of the bright colors that is the why they dyed.

I noticed that Walmart sells them here. I think that specks for it's self right there. Walmart is only after the all mighty dollar and nothing else. Never mind the pain the fish go through or that it shortens their lives and opens them up for all kinds of disease.

Hey I am sorry. I will get off my soapbox now.:;smack

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +80
    Experience:
    1 year
    all that, and the color fades. So you support an industry that is cruel to animals, pay a premium for a fish that's not going to live very long because it is damaged, AND don't even get the "cool"" colors for more than a few months.

6. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    I like the glass catfish and glass tetras just because they are clear and you can see through them. I wouldn't want any "paint" to get in the way of that.

7. ayelie

ayelieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    Just started
    The color starts to break up and fade with in 3 or 4 weeks. I have had my guys since march and they have no color left, well maybe a spot here or there but the light has to hit it just right. So far there have been not health issues (crossing fingers) I wouldn't buy them again but I love my little guys and they are a lot of fun to watch.

8. JRDroid

JRDroidWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    3 years
    Mine died after only a few months.

9. OP
    OP
    fishyfishyfishy13

fishyfishyfishy13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    5 years
    this has been interesting to hear everyone elses views and stories on this matter I haven't seen them in my lfs for several years but that doesn't mean anything I had just seen the price tag for them. If I were to get something like that it would be the regular glass catfish or tetra

10. pinknblakbetta22

pinknblakbetta22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    i would never get something like that ...

11. Drkangel123

Drkangel123Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    I saw a jelly bean ADF, they are dyed as well :( I would never buy an animal someone has intentionally hurt, with Glofish, which are danios, the color is bred not added right?

12. 421

421Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Glofish are genetically altered with jelly fish DNA I believe. If you can get them to breed,the fry will be brightly colored as well. It is illegal to sell the fry though.

13. Drkangel123

Drkangel123Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    It doesn't hurt them does it? Or is that something to stay away from as well?