Paintball Can

GAguayo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I wanted to run a CO2 set up using a paintball can and my LFS sells a set up but it's like 135 what would I need so I can see if maybe I can get it cheaper than the full 135.

20g *finally* planted
6 platies
2 dwarf Gourmies
3 otos
Bamboo shrimp

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could run a Paintball co2 tank with a regulator. There's some pretty good co2 regulators out there for a good price. Here is a regulator. I recommend an Aquatek regulator or a GreenLeafAquariums

Other good regulators like the Green Leaf Aquariums are really good quality but are a bit pricey.

Last edited:

GAguayo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just screw these into a co2 tank and feed piping into a diffuser?

20g *finally* planted
6 platies
2 dwarf Gourmies
3 otos
Bamboo shrimp

GAguayo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also. How long should I keep the Co2 on during the day? I've heard that co2 can affect the water chemistry and gas fish if you're not careful so how do I manage that?

20g *finally* planted
6 platies
2 dwarf Gourmies
3 otos
Bamboo shrimp

GAguayo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've heard of people leaving it on all day and I currently have a diy set up but diy prolly isn't even a single psi so I'm not sure how co2 can affect my tank negatively

20g *finally* planted
6 platies
2 dwarf Gourmies
3 otos
Bamboo shrimp

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You shouldn't run co2 all day. You should turn it off at night because plants don't use up co2 at night, so you will be basically be wasting the co2. High levels of co2 can harm fish. That co2 regulator in the link I believe comes with a solenoid. The solenoid can shut off the co2. You can put the co2 on a timer so it can shut off on its own, so you won't have to shut it off manually everyday.

GAguayo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can keep it on with my lights right? Im not home all day so i usually turn it on before i go to school call my mom to turn the lights off and then turn them on when i get home till i go to bed and i usually get home after dark

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can keep them on. Not too long though because you can have algae issues. Especially with co2. If you don't already, I would get a timer for the light fixture. It would be easier with the timer

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah I think that should work. For co2 there has to be a Balance of light, co2 and fertilizers. If you have too much of one, there will be possible algae issues.

GAguayo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use flourish the non excel one and root tabs to fertilize is that goood? I also have anacharis I know that likes to leach up nutrients

20g *finally* planted
6 platies
2 dwarf Gourmies
3 otos
Bamboo shrimp

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Green Leaf have good products but I find them a bit pricey. So I buy from hydroponics supply vendors.

Ohiotank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Before I had my controller I simply used a couple cheap timers, I started CO2 an hour before lights come on and turn it off an hour before lights go off, this allows the CO2 level to build up a bit before the lights come on and allows the plants to use up remaining CO2 before the lights go off. And as posted above, when you move to CO2 you really have to find your balance between CO2, ferts and light, this is always important but even more when you start higher tech setups. Good Luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom