Paint In Water Tank

Bettalad
hi, kind of urgent problem.

My dad just told me he spilled a can of paint into our water tank. I did a 20% water change today, so I’m sure there’s paint in my tank water. Should I move the fish into bucket of clean (storebrought) water and do 100% change or 90% and leave fish in there. Water tank is 10000 gallons and fish tank is 40 gal.

Gypsy13
I’d change as much water as possible. I’m so sorry!
What kind of paint?

Bettalad
I’d change as much water as possible. I’m so sorry!
What kind of paint?

Paint for the roof! I really hope they make it

Gypsy13
Paint for the roof! I really hope they make it

Oh my! Me too! Please keep us posted! I’ll be thinking positive.

cichlid4life
gravel vac some of the gravel to get any sediments of paint out of the tank! Do you have an estimated amount of how much fell in the tank?

Bettalad
gravel vac some of the gravel to get any sediments of paint out of the tank! Do you have an estimated amount of how much fell in the tank?

Approx 1 liter. Super paranoid cause I’ve been at work since posting! He literally told me on my way out of the house. Hope they’re not in any pain.

cichlid4life
one liter divided into 10,000 gallons, hmm, there are 0.00002642 liters of paint in every gallon of water.

they should be not to badly affected right now but it will start to harm the fish sooner or later.

Barch
Imo move your fish, save your biomedia and place it aside in a bucket of tank water. Do 100% eater change, clean tank and everything, then add fish and old biomedia back. Make sure you're up to temp and treat the water with a dechlorinator.

100% change isn't ideal but better safe than sorry. The fish are most likely going to die from the paint poisoning or the stress of the hundred percent water change either way

cichlid4life
Imo move your fish, save your biomedia and place it aside in a bucket of tank water. Do 100% eater change, clean tank and everything, then add fish and old biomedia back. Make sure you're up to temp and treat the water with a dechlorinator.

100% change isn't ideal but better safe than sorry. The fish are most likely going to die from the paint poisoning or the stress of the hundred percent water change either way
Don''t eat the tank decor!!!!!!!!!!!! it is very bad for your health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fish are allowed to eat it if it is a plant or piece of driftwood though. still don't eat the driftwood and don't eat the plants!!!!!!!!!!!

allllien
Did you check with your dad what time he spilled the paint and do you know what time you did the water change? (I'm assuming you did, but sometimes we just jump to the worst conclusion). Is it possible you did the water change before he spilled the paint?

cichlid4life
Did you check with your dad what time he spilled the paint and do you know what time you did the water change? (I'm assuming you did, but sometimes we just jump to the worst conclusion). Is it possible you did the water change before he spilled the paint?
or you can check with your fish for when the paint was spilled into the tank. Your fish would probably tell you it was either before eat'o'clock, during eat'o'clock, or after eat'o'clock.

allllien
or you can check with your fish for when the paint was spilled into the tank. Your fish would probably tell you it was either before eat'o'clock, during eat'o'clock, or after eat'o'clock.
I think eat'o'clock is 24/7 though if you ask them

cichlid4life
I think eat'o'clock is 24/7 though if you ask them
or eat'o'clock is when they know that they are going to be fed at one particular point in time of the day.

mattgirl
OK, doing some assuming here. about a liter of paint was accidentally spilled in to 10,000 gallons of water. I am assuming this huge tank of water is the supply of water your home draws its water from. Unless the whole 10,000 gallons was dumped, the tank cleaned and then refilled, doing water changes in your tank will be just removing water and replacing it with water from the same supply as the original water change.

Personally I wouldn't be freaking out over less than a quart of paint in a 10,000 gallon tank. It would be so diluted it would be an almost negligible amount. As always just my humble opinion.

Gypsy13
OK, doing some assuming here. about a liter of paint was accidentally spilled in to 10,000 gallons of water. I am assuming this huge tank of water is the supply of water your home draws its water from. Unless the whole 10,000 gallons was dumped, the tank cleaned and then refilled, doing water changes in your tank will be just removing water and replacing it with water from the same supply as the original water change.

Personally I wouldn't be freaking out over less than a quart of paint in a 10,000 gallon tank. It would be so diluted it would be an almost negligible amount. As always just my humble opinion.

Unfortunately this is some kind of roof paint. Even just plain old oil based paints can have little clumpy molecules that don’t mix with the water. So it’s not a question of a certain amount in 10000 gallons. It’s a question of insoluble particles making their way into the tank. The OP was using store bought water to do the after spill water change. I’m thinking that should be enough of a precaution. I don’t think the toxic stuff would’ve made it to the exit point of the tank. Depending on the time differential of course.

Bettalad
HI guys! Sorry for late update. Fish are all fine! I have done 3x 60% waterchanges with storebrought spring water. I feel the need to continue using this water source for the next month, as the water tank is undergoing cleaning. Fish are alive and well! Thanks all for replies I love hearing from all

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Skavatar
  • Question
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
PubliusVA
Replies