Page 2: New Lfs (lots Of Pictures!)

1. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I'm so excited! We went to Petsmart today to see if they had any male rats for sale (they didn't :() and I saw this awesome looking nerite snail! He's pure black! I've never seen one like that before, so I nabbed him. He's very healthy, it seems (he was on the tank wall at Petsmart crawling around), and not shy at all!

Super excited to have my first nerite!

Anyone want to help me name him? :D
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

How about Sheldon/Shel (pun intended!).

3. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Haha! That would be a funny one!

4. Over It Well Known Member Member

Onyx.

5. april_fish Member Member

Oh my goodness he is so adorable! Maybe Racer, Randall, Shelby?

And are those ghost shrimp in the background of the pictures?

6. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I like that! Maybe Onyx Sheldon/Shelby (I'll pick the appropriate one once I figure out the true sex of it)?

Yeah, it's ghost shrimp. They're super bold little guys. They thought he was food that I dropped in. :p

7. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

8. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I have a hard enough time remembering the names of my guppies half the time. XD
    Totally going to read that article.

Ah, Bob. I used to have a weed named Bob. I potted him and kept him in my room for almost a month. :p

9. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

How about name it after an alcoholic drink? Black Opal.

10. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I can't drink. Too young. :p My parents might find it weird if I name the snail after that.
    I plan to name one of my mystery snails Margarita, though. :D

11. Over It Well Known Member Member

He/she is gorgeous! I have a Black Racer Nerite, but it's not close to as pretty as that one. Just don't get "addicted" like me. lol I just got 2 more Nerites today. I think I have 11 now.

12. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I may get addicted if I can guarantee they'd all be males. I really hope this one doesn't lay those weird eggs all over everything. XD But he's a whole lot cuter than I expected. I plan to get one more nerite at some point, but I can never find any live ones of the varieties I want. All my LFS and chain stores tend to have are the zebra nerites.

I'm sure yours is very pretty! May I see a picture of him if you have one? :)

Oh, and I'll be going to a huge LFS one day this weekend (it's an hour from our house, so we've never gone before!). Anyone want me to keep an eye out for anything specific that you want a picture of? :p

13. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Emo

14. Over It Well Known Member Member

I've never figured out how to sex them, but if it makes you feel better I've only had a couple who would occasionally lay eggs.
    I don't usually take pics of the snails, but I'll see if I can find one or I'll take one tomorrow. My guy is definitely not as black as yours, but my daughter wanted him so here he is. lol

15. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Phew! I was imagining an aquarist horror story 'wake up and the tank is covered in white spots' kind of deal. :D
    Thanks! I'm honestly surprised I got one this nice at Petsmart for $2. Now I just need a horned nerite and a (flame?) nerite.

16. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I have to say, I have never seen one as dark as hers.

17. Over It Well Known Member Member

Yep, it's definitely not that bad, at all. ;) lol You can find some really nice ones occasionally. I got all my Horned Nerites from Petsmart and most of my Tigers and the Black Racer. I got my Zebras from Petco from their "adoption tank", but they have some nice Zebras at Petsmart as well.

18. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Ooh, special snail. :D
    I'd never seen a snail so dark either and he looked healthy. Why someone didn't immediately snatch him up I have no idea. But he's gorgeous. I'll make sure to take more pictures of him tomorrow when I turn on the tank lights.

Awesome! I'll have to get some for my other 20 gallon too at some point when I see more nice ones.

So I just learned it's spelled 'nerite'. I've been living a lie. :eek:

19. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Shhhh...If we're not living a lie, most of us aren't living. :)

20. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I can't believe how dark it is! What about Char, Charlie, or Coal (all from Charcoal)? My black racer is a lot different. I enjoy it's dots though. It doesn't have a name either. I also have a horned zebra nerite and a blue mystery. Love the snails. Want a couple tiger nerites and a purple mystery so bad.

Attached Files: