Padding for your aquarium

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your thoughts; should a pad (Styrofoam or other) be placed between the aquarium and a DIY stand? Through various sources I've heard no, yes and depends on the material of the tank. Any input is appreciated.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They debated it recently here if you want to read:

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did read through that but like Ryan suggested I opened a new thread to debate it further.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
They debated it recently here if you want to read:
Hi Meenu, In the thread you linked to, the OP was simply asking for suggestions about leveling a tank.
Once a debate started, that thread went off topic.

We asked the members to create a new thread if they want to debate the pros and cons of padding under an aquarium.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I knew that, I just thought it would give OP something to read while she waited for responses.

Didn't realize you'd already read it, sorry Kay.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is from that other thread. Personally, instead of starting up a new "debate" thread, I would continue the conversation there, unless the thread has been closed by a moderator. That way people can stay up-to-date with all the opinions stated thus far.

Meenu said:
So as far as leveling it out, I'd personally want some sort of incline under the entire stand, rather than a shim or phone book or whatever. I'd be concerned about uneven distribution of weight.
I agree with this. I have an antique table that, although it can support the weight of the 30 gallon tank, has a dip in the middle of it. I do not agree with someone else's opinion in that thread that if the tank is "level", the weight is distributed evenly. That only means that your corners are even. In my case, I would still have the sag in the middle, basically an open space between the tank and the tabletop. I went to Home Depot and purchased a 1 inch thick piece of pressed wood and put this on the table (covers the entire table top). It's strong enough that it doesn't sink at all into the dip. So, although my water level may still be a tad "off", and certainly not level (because our floors aren't level), I know that my table is now supporting the tank weight safely and properly (even weight distribution).

I would never never never just place a shim under the low corner. You're asking for stress points in the tank if you do that (my father was a home contractor and I actually learned stuff from him growing up).

Edited to add: Sorry, Lucy. Posted at the same time (and I referred OP to other thread, too). ops:

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe it'd help if I better explained why I am asking.
I just finished building a stand for my upcoming 29 gallon tank . The top of the stand is plywood, and for the most part is smooth and even. However, like with any cheap wood there are some imperfections, dents, nicks and nail holes. I don't think that these are bad enough to cause any issues, but I had also heard that putting a 1/4 inch pad down negates these flaws. So, as I wait to get my tank I'm trying to decide pad or no pad.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes, an absolutely, flat, bottom is essential (meaning the whole perimeter to the tank is supported). You could further put a thin rubber sheet between the DYI table and the bottom board/plank. Pad or no pad? If you pad it, be sure it is thin....you wouldn't want a pressure point to develope up on the bottom glass. The bottom frame should be supporting the tank....except for those few wood and nail defects. Any wedges to level would be on the stand bottom itself not the tank, and total "perfect level" isn't reguired....visually, the waterline, as you fill the tank should be a good enough indicator of its levelness.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LyndaB said:
Edited to add: Sorry, Lucy. Posted at the same time (and I referred OP to other thread, too). ops:
No problem Lynda.
Having this discussion in a thread of it's own will hopefully bring more views and experience about using padding.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do agree with everything said so far.

And I especially agree with putting the piece of wood on top of the table. I would not recommend using foam/padding to take up large imperfections in the stand.

Personally, I have some cardboard under my tank which works well. Some people use carpet, rubber matting etc.

The foam/padding serves a few purposes:
1. It helps absorb any slight imperfections in the stand.
2. It has been suggested that the padding also helps insulate the base of the tank
3. Polystyrene padding helps act as a shock absorber, and vibration 'eliminator'. The padding can absorb small shocks and vibrations from coming from the floor up through the stand and into the tank.

As has been previously posted in another thread, many manufacturers state 'no foam necessary', 'foam padding not required' etc. If your tank falls into this category, I would strongly recommend following manufacturers directions.

And for what it's worth, I did a little research after the recent discussions, and had a look at the website. [IMO, some of the best aquariums in the world, and with the highest price tag]

Akva Stabil use float glass in all their aquariums, and they ship their stands with pre-cut foam/polystyrene to place between their stand and their tanks [it's mentioned in their

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads