Pacu's stomach has a large bulge

Status
Not open for further replies.

EazyP

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439607633.266844.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439607647.133688.jpg

For the past two weeks, I've been holding my cousin's pacu in my tank while he upgrades to a larger tank to suit it and its tankmates.He'll be taking it back Sunday (the 16th).

There are several loaches in the tank I'm keeping the pacu in, whom I feed algae wafers. Every time I'd drop a few in, the pacu would snatch them from the loaches. Since last week, the pacu's stomach has been very bloated, and there is a bulge on its side.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help it digest, or decrease the bloat. I haven't dropped any wafers for the loaches since then, fearing it'll get even more bloated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry can't help you with your question but WOW if your cousin has a big enough tank to house a pacu that's a big that. Pacu's are beasts and get very large.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
...they also need to be in a group of 6+...

It has blocked the fish's digestive tract. Sadly it's not usually a good outcome. Not much you can do.

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Probably a result of being in a tank too small... you'd need a very large heated pond to house these guys.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably a result of being in a tank too small... you'd need a very large heated pond to house these guys.

Key words being "very large" and "guys"(plural). It hardly ever happens with pacu.

To be fair though, young pacu have a huge mouth and throat, and a huge appetite. They'll swallow any food they can, and it would have still done it in a big enough tank.

Edit.... there's always the chance that stuff can still pass by this blockage. If so (is it still eating and pooping?) there may be time for the wafer to collapse and be pooped.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If the fish is swollen on both sides then chances are it is bloated. If the fish is only swollen on one side then chances are the fish may have a tumor and if so, there is nothing you can do.

If the fish is truly bloated, try feeding thawed, frozen peas. Thaw the peas, slice them in half and remove the skin. Peas can act as a laxative for fish.

Looking down from the top of your tank, check to see if the fish is swollen on both sides or just one. Too me and looking at the photos, I would say the fish has a tumor.

I've had a Bloody Parrot or 2 over the years to develop tumors. Even with the tumor the fish lived for quiet a while but eventually I had to put the fish to sleep.

Note tank size:

My brother had Pacu in his 125g aquarium and the Pacu outgrew the tank at 26"s. IMO, these fish should not be sold in pet/fish stores and left in the wild. They simply are not suited for the smaller home aquariums. These fish should have and deserve hundreds of gallons and even a large pond.

Best wishes for the fish!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom