packaging fihs

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

anybody know of ways to package fish to send to ppl in other states

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I just received 2 fish in the mail today! They were placed in a long thin bag in about 12 ounces of water and the bag was filled with oxygen then tied shut with a knot in the bag. Then the bag was placed in another bag so the knot was at the bottom of the outer bag. Then a knot was tied in the outside bag. Then 3 sheets of newspaper were wrapped around them and taped shut. Then they were packaged in a styrofoam cooler (6 pack sized). There was just room for the 2 of them in there. They also were shipped with an aquatic hot pack. They came all the way from New York to Nebraska with no harm to them. All nice and Toasty.

I don't know how many fish you are talking about sending but the trip isn't one I would like to prepare for. I really think it is best left to the pros. There are heat packs available on eBay a lot of the time though. I think mikeswetpets has some on there now.

Rose

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Wow Chickadee, that's a long way! I can't believe they actually ship fish like this, and with no harm whatsoever. That's great, isn't it? How much does it cost to ship fish like this?

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Don't the fish get very stressed during such a long (and undoubtedly loud) trip? What is the pH of the water in which they ship the fish? How long does it take them to ship fish?

5. not4you Member Member

And what kind of fish did you get?

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Today I received Marty (a Male Crowntail Betta) and Nip (an Otto Catfish).  The entire package had a label on it saying $7.70 in postage and the heat pack was $1.50. so I believe it was very reasonable.  They left New York (Lancaster) on Tuesday and arrived in Nebraska (Beatrice) on Thursday.  Both are fine and this is not the first time I have purchased from this dealer.  His stock are delightful creatures and he is a dream to deal with. 

I know it is a long way for them to come but he loves them as much as I do so I know they will be packed away and safe as can be to make the trip.  I always try to call and let him know they make it okay.  I got Noel (my other Male Crowntail) from him also. 

No they don't stress much, but I have a routine.  They should never be unwrapped in a light or bright room.  It should be unlighted or dim as possible and they are slowly brought to temperature (at least 30 minutes) floating.  Then we do the adding water and acclimating.  This is done slowly so it takes about another hour to get them into the final tank.  I think it would be more stressful but I am very slow when I deal with them in case they have been shook up.  When they get into the tank, I slowly start turning on lights one here and then a little while later another.  If they start stressing we stop for a while, but I haven't had that happen much.  These two have been great.  The whole den was lit in less than 3 hours.

As far as the parameters, I haven't checked them but I believe they must not be too dissimilar to ours as the fish adapt very quickly and with such a small amount of trouble. Noel has never really been sick a day since I have had him, and poor Azul who I got at Walmart was sick the whole time I had him until he finally died of dropsy.

Here are the pix of the crowntails.  Nip the Otto hasn't slowed down enough to have his pix taken and he's only a baby so he's very tiny.

Rose
    :)

Attached Files:

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

This shipping is not expensive at all, considering that it is shipping of live creatures that are very delicate. I thought it would be around 30-50 dollars, lol. So it's great considering they come in such a good condition. The fish are beautiful Chickadee :)

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

;D You know I love showing them off! ;D

Rose

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

His shipping is very reasonable because it does usually cost 25-30 dollars to have fish shipped to you.
    Carol