p.h. lowering

Discussion in 'pH' started by bryce1217, Dec 26, 2012.

1. b

bryce1217 Valued Member Member

i set up my 44 gallon bowfront december 25th and i heard that if you used a filter from your old tank in your new one it would shorten your cycle. i done that. everything is in the safe zone except my p.h. i need it at about 6.8-7.2 foeer my discus. should i wait for it to level out on its own or should i try to lower it myself. i do have aquarium salt and water primer. what should i use to lower it? i heard that aquarium salt works well.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Unless you're buying fish from the wild they will adjust to what ever your pH is. Trying to adjust ph leads to fluctuating ph. a stable pH is much healthier for your fish. Freshwater fish don't need salt and some of them really don't do well with salt. Personally I wouldn't use salt for discus at all.
    what is your pH normally straight from your tap.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    b

i just tested the tap water strait from the fosset. it was 7.2. how did my p.h. go from 7.2-8.4? i did add 6 big peices of slate and the tank was once used for saltwater. i washed it out good though.

4. Butterfly

You need to let your water set for 24 hours before you test: That way it can out gas extra oxygen and be more like it would be in your tank.
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    b

ok. it has been cycling for a fullc24 hours now. i started it at exactly 10 last night. i heard that i clould add fish when the p.h. levels off since everything else has. is this true?

6. Butterfly

Discus really need to go into a fully cycled mature tank. Other more hardy fish you can.
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    b

ok. how long should i wait on my discus. im going to be putting in 7 bloodfin tetras and some mixed rummy nose tetras. along with one angelfish. ill add the discus and the angel last then.

8. Butterfly

Even though you have used media from another tank to cycle this tank it will still spike an ammonia reading until it is completely cycled. I would wait to add the Discus until it tests with 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites. I see by another post you have already bought them, are they in another tank?

Carol

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    b

Oh yeah. I already have the bloodcins. Before I knew anything about them I bought them and shoved them In a ten gallon. I knew I was upgrading tanks so I got them but then I learned a proper school needed 5. So I plan on upping them and doing an angel maybe and my discus.
    Yes. I did already buy my discus. That are babies. Not even as big as a quarter. That was the last blue so I thought that I could buy them and keep them in a ten gallon. I know discus need 10 gallons a piece I thought if I kept water conditions good and do water changes I could keep them in there for a few weeks at most.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice