Oyster Shells For Snails?

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was wondering about using oyster shells for my land snails instead of cuttlebone since it is way cheaper and is the same form of calcium and almost the same consistency.

I was just wondering because it’s the same price for a five pound bag of oyster shells for chickens at my local feed store as it is for 3 medium cuttlebones at the pet store.

Has anyone used oyster shells for snails (particularly land snails, but aquatic ones too)?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're buying them for your chickens then there is little harm in dropping a few pellets in your enclosure for your snails to sample. But if not, cuttlebones take up less storage space in a cupboard. As do generic brand calcium tablets, for that matter.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're buying them for your chickens then there is little harm in dropping a few pellets in your enclosure for your snails to sample. But if not, cuttlebones take up less storage space in a cupboard. As do generic brand calcium tablets, for that matter.
We have a bunch of chickens so me and my sister (she’s the chicken lady) are planning on going 50/50 on oyster shells so she could have some for the chickens, I was just wondering how well they work for snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom