Oxygenating Water Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by EMcT1985, Jan 16, 2019.

1. EMcT1985New MemberMember

I have a HOB-type filter that is set on the 'water fall' mode, but can be switched so that water comes out of a lower opening, skimming across the top of the water (which makes the tank a lot quieter). I have live plants and about a dozen fish. Is it a good idea to keep the water fall mode on so that the water is properly oxygenated, or do life plants take care of that?

Thanks!

2. Tony MValued MemberMember

You don’t need the water fall. Your filter is drawing water from the bottom of the tank and returning it to the top. That rotation is what oxygenates your water, not the splashing of the waterfall.

3. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

So long as you have surface agitation you should have plenty of oxygen in the water (and I assume the water skimming across the top provides enough agitation), so you should be fine switching the water to come out of the lower opening.

4. SwlwsValued MemberMember

Yup, I had to learn this as well, 30 years I've been told "more bubbles = more oxygen" but it seems thats old news and we have to get with the times :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice