Oxygen Problem

Joeylax54
I've been running my 10-gallon tank now for a week and I've noticed my fish seem to stay around the top and even gasp for air sometimes even though I have a good amount of bubbles coming from the filter and a 6 in airstone bar. should I introduce some plants to the aquarium or is there another solution?

Flyfisha
Mhamilton0911
Is your tank cycled? It sounds like there's enough oxygen, but if your tank's not cycled, there's possibly ammonia that's causing these symptoms.

Do you have a liquid test kit? Strips are not usually reliable. When was the last water change?

Joeylax54
Flyfisha said:
Have you tested the water for ammonia and nitrates?

The heater is not stuck on is it?
I have been testing the water daily trying to figure this out and the ppm of nitrites and nitrates is around 0 for both. as for the heater, do you mean stuck onto the wall of the tank? I have a Free spa LED heater running at around 78-79 degrees on the opposite end of the tank from the filter

Dunk2
Joeylax54 said:
I have been testing the water daily trying to figure this out and the ppm of nitrites and nitrates is around 0 for both. as for the heater, do you mean stuck onto the wall of the tank? I have a Free spa LED heater running at around 78-79 degrees on the opposite end of the tank from the filter
Because your nitrite and nitrate levels are 0 and your tank has only been running a week, your tank likely isn’t cycled.

What is your ammonia level and are you doing water changes?

Flyfisha
Joeylax54 it seems likely the tank does not have a full working nitrogen cycle.

Sorry Aussie slang perhaps? I meant is the heater broken and not turning off. Heaters jamb on and overheat the water sometimes. The result would be fish swimming at the surface in hot water.

Joeylax54
Mhamilton0911 said:
Is your tank cycled? It sounds like there's enough oxygen, but if your tank's not cycled, there's possibly ammonia that's causing these symptoms.

Do you have a liquid test kit? Strips are not usually reliable. When was the last water change?
since I have hat the tank for
Dunk2 said:
Because your nitrite and nitrate levels are 0 and your tank has only been running a week, your tank likely isn’t cycled.

What is your ammonia level and are you doing water changes?
I am still waiting on a liquid test kit for ammonia but I've done 2 10% water changes since the problem arose

Mhamilton0911
I'm guessing since you didn't give a value for ammonia, you have the strips.

It's ok! I'd do a big water change, say %50 or so. Make sure to match temperature and make sure to add your declhorinater. Observe your fish, if they seem to do better, it's the building ammonia from not being cycled. Try to get a liquid test kit, or if your close to your lfs, most will test your water for you. That can help determine the volume and frequency of water changes in the future.

Joeylax54
Mhamilton0911 said:
Mhamilton0911 said:
I'm guessing since you didn't give a value for ammonia, you have the strips.

It's ok! I'd do a big water change, say %50 or so. Make sure to match temperature and make sure to add your declhorinater. Observe your fish, if they seem to do better, it's the building ammonia from not being cycled. Try to get a liquid test kit, or if your close to your lfs, most will test your water for you. That can help determine the volume and frequency of water changes in the future.
Thank you! Im still really new to fish keeping lol! When I would do a water change should I just use dechlorinated tap or spring water or distilled?

Mhamilton0911
Joeylax54 said:
Thank you! Im still really new to fish keeping lol! When I would do a water change should I just use dechlorinated tap or spring water or distilled?

Use declhorinated tap. Bottled, of any variety, is expensive and varies greatly on mineral content and ph. Purified (or distilled) water is stripped of necessary minerals fish need to long term thrive.

Dunk2
Joeylax54 said:

I am still waiting on a liquid test kit for ammonia but I've done 2 10% water changes since the problem arose
Depending on your ammonia level, 10% water changes may not be enough.

When you get your ammonia test, your test results should determine the amount of water you need to change to keep ammonia and eventually nitrites at safe levels.

Mhamilton0911
Joeylax54 said:

Fresh water will not harm, only help. If your fish are stressed from the ammonia, the concentration of ammonia is probably really high, so a large, perhaps 2 large water changes are needed right now.

And next would be getting a way to test ammonia levels, by your fish store, or by a kit. I got mine off Amazon for pretty cheap. You might try calling around to see if any of your stores will test your water for you.

StinkyLoaf
If you need to change water during a cycle, especially a fish-in cycle, you want to go large. Smaller ones remove only a small concentration of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. For info about fish-in cycling click the link in my signature below.

Joeylax54
Mhamilton0911 said:
Fresh water will not harm, only help. If your fish are stressed from the ammonia, the concentration of ammonia is probably really high, so a large, perhaps 2 large water changes are needed right now.

And next would be getting a way to test ammonia levels, by your fish store, or by a kit. I got mine off Amazon for pretty cheap. You might try calling around to see if any of your stores will test your water for you.
i might stop by my petsmart sometime today to get a full test of all my water stats. When I bought the tank I bought some API quickstart that adds bacteria into the water, would you recommend I add some each time I do a water change?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom