Oxygen Deprived Sterlet, Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Maharg105, May 22, 2018.

1. Maharg105New MemberMember

Hi all,

First I wanted to say thanks for all the helpful advice and tips I've gleaned from this forum over the last six months, it's made setting up and establishing my tank a dream.

I have a 300 litre tank, all variables perfect, one Sterlet and two goldies.

I thought I had removed all hazards, but my poor Sterlet found one and when I can home she was stuck and twtixhing.

I've outer her in a hospital ta k filled with water from her aquarium and put in an air stone. She seems a little more "there", but is still lying on her side with her gills going like the clappers. She surges forward every so often, but then stops and floats back toward the surface.

Is there anything else I can do? She is the pride and joy of my tank and I want to give her the best chance possible.

Thanks so much in advance and sorry if I've used the forum incorrectly at all. First post and I'm a little stressed.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

What's the temp?

Also, the tank will be too small to house the 2 species.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Maharg105New MemberMember

Hi there, thanks for the reply .

Temperature is about 23 degrees Celsius. This tank isn't their permanent home, they will be moving to a much larger one as they grow.

4. 75g Discus Tank

The temp is a bit high for them.

This will lead to less oxygen for them to use.

I recommend keeping them at around 64 degrees Fahrenheit or around 18 degrees Celsius.

They will also grow to around 1.5 meters so they need a much larger tank or pond.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Maharg105New MemberMember

Hi there, her lack of oxygen was due to her getting stuck behind a piece of tank ornament. So she was unable to swim forward and pass water over her gills. But I hear your point about the temperature.

Her final destination is a 10,000 litre pond, so she should be fine.

6. 75g Discus Tank

Ooh! Sounds like a paradise! Will the goldfish be going with her?

They would also appreciate temps of around 19-20 degrees Celsius, but can manage at 18.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice