Overwintering shubies in 18" D in zone 5b

Lenae98

I have planned to overwinter my shubies in my 125 gal. 18" pond until we can build a larger pond next season. (This is my 1st year in the hobby.) Now members of another forum I frequent say an 18" pond will freeze solid in zone 5b . This is upsetting I thought I had researched this thoroughly . All the websites said 18" min. Even the breeder of the fish said they could safely overwinter.
I adore my shubies but they have to winter in these less then ideal conditions this winter. I have two shubunkins 4-5" long and only the one newly cycled 20 gallon tank with no space for a 2nd. The tank is far from established. i fear the bioload of the two shubunkins and potential subsequent ammonia spikes pose a greater risk to my fish then attempting to overwinter them in my small but well established pond.
I am planning on building a cover out of clear plastic to take advantage of solar gain and reduce wind. In addition to deploying a deicer and aerator/pond breather.
Suggestions on anything more I can do to increase their odds?

jtjgg

a solar cover will help.

after halloween, you could find some cheap haybales and placed them around the pond to help block wind and provide a little insulation.

Lenae98

a solar cover will help.

after halloween, you could find some cheap haybales and placed them around the pond to help block wind and provide a little insulation.
This is a great idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
saltwater60
  • alink
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Ayushman Singh
20 Gallon Tank How's my current stock?
Replies
Views