Overthinking pH?

RLFrog

Hello there, appreciate any guidance. Newbie.
Set up 5 gallon nanotank about 2 months ago, have Java ferns, Amazon sword, and water wisteria, gravel substrate. Keep the temperature at 78°.
Made sure the tank cycled appropriately using external source of ammonia.
I've monitored my tank pH throughout the cycling process, and it has stayed between 8-8.2.
I have city water with a house softener and filtration system, water straight from the tap is 7.2 pH. I'm assuming the discrepancy between my tank water and tap water is due to the gases present in the running tap water?
I introduced my betta fish over a week ago, he seems happy and I continue to monitor the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Everything has continued to cycle well.
My main question is this, for my water changes, if I add fresh tap water to my tank will that change my tank pH too quickly for my dude? Should I leave the water sitting out overnight before adding it? (I would prefer not to do this due to the high probability of 10 cats knocking it down)
Should I get some driftwood to lower my tank pH and then not worry about adding the tap water?
Or am I overthinking this and it's okay to add straight from the tap (obviously priming it first)
Thanks!

Betta'sAnonymous

If the fish is good, why feel the need to mess with things and possibly not make it good?

StarGirl

Your water is like mine. 7.6 from the tap 8.2 in the tank. I dont have a softener though. As long as you are not keeping Discus or something you don't have to worry. Just make sure the temp matches the tank. Driftwood does nothing for my water so dont expect that. I do 50% water changes every week and have never had a issue. If he's been ok so far you are good. Fluctuations trying to change it are worse.

MasterPython

Trying to lower the PH of high PH water requires strong acids or an RO filter. Weak acids like tannins won't change the PH noticably until your water is literally black.

Hard alkaline water like yours is safer for most fish. With soft water small amounts of contaminants can cause a PH crash because the carbonate buffers it to a higher but stable level.

RLFrog

Betta'sAnonymous said:
If the fish is good, why feel the need to mess with things and possibly not make it good?
That's what I was hoping someone would say!
StarGirl said:
Your water is like mine. 7.6 from the tap 8.2 in the tank. I dont have a softener though. As long as you are not keeping Discus or something you don't have to worry. Just make sure the temp matches the tank. Driftwood does nothing for my water so dont expect that. I do 50% water changes every week and have never had a issue. If he's been ok so far you are good. Fluctuations trying to change it are worse.
Awesome. Thanks so much! Good idea with the temp. I try to match it using feel but have been off before.

Latest threads

Top Bottom