Overstocking

  • Thread starter Tscott667
  • Start date

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
:

There is my future stocking plans, I have about half of what is on this list so far. I'm only 3% on my overstock PER aqadvisor. My MAIN question is, does anyone think I have too many bottom feeders? Is there such a thing as being overstocked on bottom feeders? Do you think 3% over is THAT big of a deal....just probably more waterchange correct? I will be putting an Aquaclear 110 on this soon so filtration shouldn't be a problem
 

RomeoOscar

Active Member
Member
Messages
248
I think its not that big of a deal... Are you sure the frog can live with fish and shrimp though?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
RomeoOscar said:
I think its not that big of a deal... Are you sure the frog can live with fish and shrimp though?
So far, the one is doing OK, we can't to get 2 more because they are suppose to have buddies, just can't find a place to get them.
 

Gh05t

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
The cherry shrimp will eventually become snacks for the gourami and the frog...also you really don't need to factor in bioload of cherry shrimp theyre pretty nil on a system. Really the tank is pretty lightly stocked...bottom is fine...Id get some more mid-dwellers to be honest.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
Gh05t said:
The cherry shrimp will eventually become snacks for the gourami and the frog...also you really don't need to factor in bioload of cherry shrimp theyre pretty nil on a system. Really the tank is pretty lightly stocked...bottom is fine...Id get some more mid-dwellers to be honest.
So FAR, I haven't had a problem with them eating the cherry shrimp, once the cherry shrimp start having fry, which I'm hoping for, they might though. Any suggestions on any mid swimmers?

Also, 5 of those nerite snails are actually Rabbit snails, aqadvisor doesn't have rabbit snails as an option.
 

Gh05t

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Snails and shrimp don't really tax the system enough to worry that much about.

Lots of fish are mid swimmers; what are some which you like?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
Gh05t said:
Snails and shrimp don't really tax the system enough to worry that much about.

Lots of fish are mid swimmers; what are some which you like?
I guess I'll have to look around some more. I thought my tank would be overstocked with what I have....mainly because of room not bioload or anything. 4 pearl gouramis and 20 neon tetras, 2 clown plecos along with everything else I thought would be enough, I guess not now huh?

I only have about half of what I have on this list, I don't even have a single clown pleco yet and I already have to do a 50% water change every week, because of my Nitrates, I guess I'm overfeeding a little....?
 

Attachments

Gh05t

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Overfeeding and your tap water itself may contain nitrates. If your tap does contain nitrate I would run some chemical media to remove it from the aquarium and add more plants.

You don't have to add more, I just said I would probably add more. Stocking aquariums is a personal preference situation. I would run the AC110 youre planning in addition to the filter you have in place. More the merrier as far as filtration goes.
 

FishBoy101

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,017
Tscott667 said:
So FAR, I haven't had a problem with them eating the cherry shrimp, once the cherry shrimp start having fry, which I'm hoping for, they might though. Any suggestions on any mid swimmers?
I would only do 1 pleco. What size tank?
 

FishBoy101

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,017
Tscott667 said:
Yeah I was debating if I wanted 1 or 2. It's a 55 gallon.
I've stocked my 75 lightly and I think it looks exquisite, you do what you want with your tank, but I think your stocking is perfectly fine with what your looking at.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
FishBoy101 said:
I've stocked my 75 lightly and I think it looks exquisite, you do what you want with your tank, but I think your stocking is perfectly fine with what your looking at.
Thanks! I'm BRAND NEW to this whole thing. I included a picture of my setup. I added jungle val in the left corner, they died, I wanted to get more vertical room in my tank, any quick suggestions?
 

Attachments

kanzekatores

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,076
Nice tank! Your stock should be fine, if you’re worried don’t get as many tetras. Also that’s a lot of snails and they produce a lot of waste so it could be partly that too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
kanzekatores said:
Nice tank! Your stock should be fine, if you’re worried don’t get as many tetras. Also that’s a lot of snails and they produce a lot of waste so it could be partly that too.
Thanks! I got the rabbit snails because they look awesome. I only have 2 nerites right now, was kind of wanting to get more for the algae. Last week a had a pretty big Diatom explosion. I'm GUESSING it was because I got a brighter light and was using Thrive C for the first time. So I wanted some more nerites and I turned me light hours from 12 to 10 hours. Don't know if that all will help.

I also have some java moss in there, went brown pretty bad, i let it alum drip for 3 days....about 2 weeks later it's finally showing green. Kind of crazy how brown it was and it's still alive.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Tscott667

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
Nickguy5467 said:
i dont understand, aquaadvisor just takes me to a bunch of searches.
I have that problem at my house. Here at work it works everytime, use a diff browser?
 
Top Bottom