Overstocking?

?

What Tank-Mates Are Best?

1. Harlequin Rasboras

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ember Tetras

25.0%
  3. Neither; your tank will be overstocked.

75.0%
  1. aBettaNamedRoy

aBettaNamedRoy Valued Member Member

Hello all! As some of you may know, I have a young betta named Roy. If Roy is male or female, I cannot determine, but either way, he displays a very placid and peaceful demeanor. Despite being over six months old, I have never seen him flare. And he has lived with tank mates before; a mystery snail and african dwarf frog. He has never displayed aggression, and, now that he is alone in a newly upgraded setup, I have been contemplating tankmates. I don't want to go for anything other than fish, though the african dwarf frog and the snail were fun to keep. It's hard to keep tank mates with varying needs from my betta.
    Recently, I have been researching ember tetras and harlequin rasboras. I was thinking 5-6 ember tetras, or 4-5 harlequin rasboras. I would only keep one or the other; I don't have the space for both species. However, in choosing a tank mate, I am having some difficulty. I hear that tetras can be nippy; is that true? What are your personal experiences with both species?
    As for my tank set up, I have a heavily planted ten gallon with over ten species of live plants. There are multiple pieces of driftwood, a giant conch shell, and some java moss. The tank is filtered with a sponge filter, heated (between 78 and 80 degrees) and has Flourite as a substrate. I also have an overhead lighting fixture.
    What species would you recommend? Would adding these tankmates in a ten gallon produce too much waste?
    P.S. I've done my research about this matter, but I always like to get some answers from fellow Fishlore members to ensure the information is accurate. Everything I've read says this is okay, and my only concern would be some conflict between the tetras and Roy. However, if that is not accurate, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on the matter.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do either, based on experience. I keep both ember tetra and harlequin rasbora. I have had both fish at different times in ten gallon tanks.

The rasbora did slightly better than the tetra, despite the difference in size. Tetra are active fish. Harlies, less so. But when I moved them out to larger tanks, their behavior really changed. They became more active and confident.

So it may "work" but it may also not be the optimal environment for the fish .

3. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

I wouldn’t do anything with a betta in a 10 gallon tank. But if you really want a schooling fish and can’t upgrade go for lambchop rasboras they are smaller version of harlequin. Also fish is entirely a different story compared to snails and frog. My betta never attacked my nerites and his not even interested in my RCS for some reasons but when i was floating him he started to flare and attack to a lone endler in the tank and stressed him from inside the bag i had to transfer the endler to my main 30 gallon