overstocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by hutcher, Jul 31, 2015.

1. h

hutcher New Member Member

2 black skirted tetras, 4 mollies,5 neon tetras, 4 white cloud, 4 platys, 3 flying fox. Too much for 55 gal tank?

2. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I don't believe so.
    Actually, I think that you should increase the number of your schooling fish to at least 6 per species (tetras, white clouds).
    Regarding the white clouds, you may have a bit of a problem, as they prefer cooler water than do the others-you may wish to rehome them.
    Are your flying foxes Siamese ones? Flying foxes seem to get on much better with other species then they do with their own, so be sure to provide lots of shelter, or just keep the one.
    All the best, rick

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

That does not look like to large of a bio load....what size/kinda filter are you running?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with ric.
    You need at least 6 black skirts, 6 neons, and 6 white clouds.
    And same about the flying foxes, they can fight with their own species. But are you sure they are flying foxes? Can you post pics?
    Also, WCMMs are coldwater fish.

5. OP
    OP
    h

Store tag read Siamese flying fox , really looking for Siamese algre eaters think made hasty decision with SFF's two of them seem to bump against each other unsure if it is alpha male smack down.so far they leave everyone else alone.Are the Siamese Algae Eaters hard to find? read they eat all kinds of algae want little help with algae White clouds do stay more toward top of tank wonder if it is temp that is a around 78-79

6. Anders247

Try posting a pic, often they are sold for each other (SAEs and foxes).
    And that temp is too high for white clouds.

7. OP
    OP
    h

Oh boy, then temp of 76-78 has to be messing with them, darn the little guys grow on you , hate to have to lose them. Have to take them to the store

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    h

Took awhile but here are pics. FF's or SAE's drum roll please...

9. OP
    OP
    h

Two tetra whispers came with starter tank each 40 gal.Am going to by new tank this week and plan on getting. Cascade canister 1000 via Amazon. At least I will be able to cycle with used media.

10. Anders247

Those are SAEs, not flying foxes. I would get 3 more of them as they are a shoaling/schooling fish.

11. OP
    OP
    h

Thank you for all your input will relocate WCs time to go to schooling heading out to get some fish. Next question might be about pregnant mollies see ya

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice