overstocking?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by KGajosz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. K

KGajosz New Member Member

okay, so i have had my tank set up for a good few years with tropical fish such as sharks ect. however decided to change fish type to African Cichlids. I currently have 4 in there, 1 zebra, 3 malawi bues and i also have a bristlenose pleco and the fish seem very happy, all cichlids have their territory but also swim about and dont really chase eachother. (never bothered the pleco). i know that the fish i have need high gallon tanks but ive been told by my local aquatics that im able to keep 8 cichlids in it..
    I do a 30% water change every Sunday and a 15% change midweek, i use aquarium salt to raise ph and keep all fish healthy (which they are) and use water conditioners so that all the readings stay perfect in weekly water tests. this is probably because i use the Eheim 2217 canister filter which has a rate of 264gph so it does a great job and i also have an extra air pump to give the fish extra oxygen access..with all that there is many hiding places.
    Now the Question is do i buy more fish like i've been said im allowed (don't really trust the place since its a shop so they want to sell as many fish as they can obviously)
    i heard that overstocking gives more comfort for the fish, and also makes the tank look better.
    Water cleaning will keep water conditions on point, but will it be okay for the fish?
    As to the growth of the pleco it grows maximum to 15cm, but im still planning on getting a bigger tank by the end of the year.

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    The tank is overstocked, the cichlids you have need a bigger tank than a 20g.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep minimum tank size for African cichlids is 55g.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Okay, first, Welcome to Fishlore!

What size is this tank? Plecos are not recommended for African Cichlid tanks. Therefore I will advise you remove it if you want to keep cichlids.

Okay, I would change your water change schedule to 50-60% once weekly. Do not use aquarium salt to raise the pH. You can do things like using Limestone, Texas Holey Rock, or crushed coral/aragonite based substrates that will naturally buffer your pH to 8.0. Freshwater fish should not be exposed to any form of salt (unless using it as a medication, which i do not advise doing either). Your canister is a decent one, but I think the max size tank it would handle is a 55 gallon.
    No, do not buy more fish until you tell us the size of your tank, and do a water test (using a liquid test kit like API Freshwater Master Test Kit) and give us the results. Fish store will almost always say you can add more fish, because they want your money, and if the fish die, you will likely come back and get more to replace them. Yes overstocking is recommended for Mbuna cichlids. You say you're planning to get a bigger tank by the end of the year, but all too often something comes up and prevents that from happening. Do not plan your current stocking on your hopes to get a bigger tank. Get fish that will do well in your current tank.

hmm, I dont see where the OP said it was a 20g..

5. OP
    OP
    K

According to the filter company its suitable for 150g tanks, i did the water test earlier on today , 0 chlorine, pH 7.9 , no3 at 10, no2 at zero, water hardness 15, kh at 6. i was advised that bristlenose would be the best pleco to have with the cichlids as its spiky and grows to a similar size to them , and again i had him for a month now, has never been picked on by the cichlids. Everyone has to try out what works for their tanks and obviously it works with mine.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

The title..

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, the 20 gallon tank thing is in the prefix.

8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I miss the titles all the time...

9. Dom90

Yes it's entirely possible to keep BNs with African cichlids, it's the only cleaner fish I would recommend putting with mbuna. Although I've heard of mbuna killing them also, on another forum. But either way, your tank is way too small to accommodate African cichlids.

10. BDpups

Shellies will fit in a 20. Is it a 20 long, or 20 high? If it's a long, you maybe able to get away with a pair of Juli too.

11. Dom90

He needs to rehome his current stock first...

12. BDpups

Agreed.

13. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Or get a new tank asap... 55 gallon minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. OP
    OP
    K

okay, im looking into buying a new fish tank a bit sooner then :) can julies live with my current cichlids or will they be aggresive towards eachother? really like the ones i have and id hate to give them away (i name my fish, im a bit sad like that) the fish tank that im planning on getting is 48x18x15 (212 Litres/56.6G).. How many cihclids can i keep in there?

15. BDpups

You should not mix cichlids from the different lakes. If you want to keep Juli then you should set up a Tang tank for them. If your current fish get rehomed, and you have a 20 long, then a pair of Juli and some shellies would work.

16. OP
    OP
    K

So in a 56g how many lake malawi cichlids can I keep ? As I really want to keep the ones I have now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice