Overstocking with pygmy corys, ember tetras, and shrimp?

User1

Beginner here, still working on my first tank and need to get fish soon. As said in the title I have a 20 gal, 24 long and 18 tall. My planned stocking is around 8-12 pygmy corydoras, 8-10 ember tetras, and hopefully a small group of cherry shrimp (2 snails which I already have. I'm not sure if said stocking is over done, I would definitely do this slowly probably starting with embers moving to the corys in a couple weeks (the shrimp would probably be within months).
I want to leave breeding room for all of them, exactly how many of each species should I start with?

Tigerburp

Beginner here, still working on my first tank and need to get fish soon. As said in the title I have a 20 gal, 24 long and 18 tall. My planned stocking is around 8-12 pygmy corydoras, 8-10 ember tetras, and hopefully a small group of cherry shrimp (2 snails which I already have. I'm not sure if said stocking is over done, I would definitely do this slowly probably starting with embers moving to the corys in a couple weeks (the shrimp would probably be within months).
I want to leave breeding room for all of them, exactly how many of each species should I start with?
I think that stocking is ok but you wouldn’t be able to ad anymore fish afterwards, I would start with 10 corys first followed by tetras. My main concern is that the tetras may eat the shrimps

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

That stocking sounds fine to me. While they might pick off an occasional juvenile shrimp, I don't think ember tetras are large enough to pose much of a threat to adult shrimp. I have guppies with mine and the guppies and shrimp ignore each other.

I'm glad you plan to wait a while with getting the shrimp. Your chances of success are much better with a well seasoned tank. Since you're new to keeping shrimp you might find the information at Neocaridina (Red Cherry Shrimp) Basics helpful.

Upvote 0

User1

I think that stocking is ok but you wouldn’t be able to ad anymore fish afterwards, I would start with 10 corys first followed by tetras. My main concern is that the tetras may eat the shrimps
I do have sag and hairgrass on their way to a pretty dense carpet, I'm hoping the sag will give the shrimp and corys lots of cover.

Upvote 0

Tigerburp

I do have sag and hairgrass on their way to a pretty dense carpet, I'm hoping the sag will give the shrimp and corys lots of cover.
Corys don’t really like carpet they like spots of sand throughout the tank to dig so just make sure you don’t do a full carpet

Upvote 0

User1

Corys don’t really like carpet they like spots of sand throughout the tank to dig so just make sure you don’t do a full carpet
Was definitely planning on leaving a clearing for them! Thanks though

Upvote 0

Sobhan

I would go with 6 cories and 12 ember tetras. Cories will most definitely breed if theres enough room, tetras are hard and even if they do the fry won't survive at all unless you have a very well established densely planted tank with acidic water and tannins. Cherry shrimp are a gamble, they themsleves won't get eaten but their fry are definitely gonna be.

Upvote 0

User1

I would go with 6 cories and 12 ember tetras. Cories will most definitely breed if theres enough room, tetras are hard and even if they do the fry won't survive at all unless you have a very well established densely planted tank with acidic water and tannins. Cherry shrimp are a gamble, they themsleves won't get eaten but their fry are definitely gonna be.
How fast would you say cherry fry grow? Do you think 8 corys is ok with 10 ember tetras? I am going to aim for a jungle style tank hoping to keep as many fry as possible while I still leave some sand room for the corys too.

Upvote 0

Tigerburp

How fast would you say cherry fry grow? Do you think 8 corys is ok with 10 ember tetras? I am going to aim for a jungle style tank hoping to keep as many fry as possible while I still leave some sand room for the corys too.
Corys are fine with almost all fish and dense plants also provide cover which is good

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views