Overstocking or Understocking fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by raif281, Jul 29, 2015.

1. r

raif281 Valued Member Member

ok guys bare with this noob here, the only fish I've ever messed with have been on the end of my fishin line . my little cousin wants an aquarium and I volunteered to get it, learn about it all and it will be kept at my house. I got the sudden urge to get one a few weeks ago and now I have a good excuse to finally get one lol! now ive done some research on a bit of stuff but I'm still a noob about it all. my girlfriends coworker has to look when he gets home but he believes he has a 20 or 30 gallon tank he's gonna give me. I was thinking about this setup

2 maybe 3 - Cory Cat
    4 or so Guppy
    and either
    2 Glassfish or
    2 Aphyosemion austral

not sure if I would be over crowding in a 20 gallon if i added more than the Cory cats and guppy.

is this to many fish in the tank? what would be a good combo of these fish? I know a few of them are supposed to have so many fish like guppies. these numbers are just preliminary and I will adjust accordingly. let me know, if I get the 20 gallon and 30 gallon tank, what fish from above I could get and how many I should have without overstocking, thanks in advance guys!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Cories are schooling fish and need to be in a group of six or more of the same species. In your case, it wouldnt make you overstocked.

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

According to Fishlore, glassfish are also a schooling fish, so that's another 6 or more. That will put you over, I think.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Glassfish are schooling fish too, and should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

In a 20 gal long, you could do 6 cory cats and a school of glass fish. Or 6 cory cats and 2 of the killifish. From reading their profiles, it seems the killifish would be outcompeted by the glassfish for food.

5. Dom90

Limit for a 20 gallon is 2 schools of fish and a centerpiece fish. That's for a 20 gallon Long though.

6. OP
    OP
    r

I'm still not sure on the tank, it might be a regular 20, long 20 or possibly a 30. now as far as the schooling goes I've read a few different things in a few different places, I believe one site said you need at least 4 cories, another said 6 and another said a pair is ok. that's why I'm trying to read a lot of different places to see what the general # is.

I didn't plan on getting both the glassfish and killifish, it was either one of the 2 or none if it would be over crowded.

could I do 4 Cory cats instead of 6 or do I need 6? I don't want to crowd the tank. my thinking after reading the replies is if I can. I'd do 4 Cory cats, 4-6 guppies whatever I need and 2 killifish or maybe a single killifish as the "centerpiece" as stated above. would that work for both a 20 gallon long and a 30 gallon?

7. TexasDomer

I would do 6 cories, not 4. That would be fine in a 20 L with a few guppies and either the glassfish or the killifish.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Keep in mind when stocking, you are stocking 3 parts of the tank. Top, middle, bottom.

6 cories will not overstock the bottom of the tank. 6 cories plus 3-4 guppies (all male preferably) and a single killifish or a fish like a honey gourami or maybe a blue ram could be your centerpiece.

If you consider a ram that will limit you to warm water cories. Sterbai, aeneus, and some others.

9. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

6 or more cories is the best number. I've kept anywhere from 2 to 7 false julii cories. And I have to say their social interactions definitely became more active after I had about 5-6 of them.

If you're worried about overstocking, consider the smaller cories like pygmy or dwarf cories (though I think Pygmy swims all over the tank as opposed to just sticking to the bottom).

If you keep regular size cories also remember soft, sand substrate is best. They like to root through sand all day long with their nose and barbels (whiskers).

I've heard that glassfish is not very easy for a beginner hobbyist. So maybe hold off on that.

Guppies are super fast breeders, so I recommend just getting all male. 4-5 all male guppies should get along ok (esp if you get them all from the same place and they know each other). However, occasionally I do end up with a male guppy that is overly aggressive and I have to return him.

ok I'll shoot for 6 then thanks bud. I'll do the 4-6 guppies and the killifish I was looking into the German blue ram and the electric blue ram also as maybe a center piece.

yes I'm familiar with that, I know the cories would be on the bottom pretty much by themselves. I was shooting for all male guppies as I'm not wanting to deal with all the breeding.

the Cory I was looking at has the scientific name Corydoras spp, would these be considered warm water cories? their temps from 72-78. I was planning on trying to setup the tank at
    Ph : 7
    Temp at 75-77
    dGH at 10 if I can,
    as this fits the cories, guppies and killifish needs. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438205164.344939.jpg
    funny you mention the ram as I was looking at them also but havnt compared them to the others yet! thanks for ya advice guys really helping me out

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  10. tyguy7760

I'm assuming corydoras spp are aeneus (bronze/albino). If that is the case then yes they are warm water corys. What do the corydoras spp you had in mind look like? 75-77 is pretty cool for a ram. They like it closer to 80 which would be too warm for a lot of the common cory's like peppered, green, and pygmy.

11. OP
    OP
    r

I'm not sure, it's the one that's on fishlore profile for corycat here's a link https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Corydoras.htm

yeah I just noticed that I was looking at both the electric blue and German blue Rams and noticed they like it 78 and up. any recommendations on a centerpiece that for my perimeters?

12. Dom90

You can try a Kribensis, they have no problem with the temp being a little lower, around 76-77 or so
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438212423.976320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. tyguy7760

So you can still do a german blue or electric blue or bolivian ram with corys. You would just want to go with something like this
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1161+953&pcatid=953

There are others @Coradee is the cory expert.

If it's a 20 gallon then a centerpiece fish would include a single ram, killifish, or a single honey gourami/dwarf gourami that come to mind

If it's a 20 gallon long or a 30 gallon, then your options in gourami expand to include banded and thicklipped (the one in my profile pic admittedly not a good pic of the sunset color variation), or many of the other dwarf cichlids. The centerpiece fish depends a lot on the length of the tank

14. OP
    OP
    r

thanks bud I'll look into them!

just realized I could keep the water at 78 for the cories and keep the Rams. I'm still waiting to see what size tank it is. thanks bud I'll look into all of those! wish he would get back with her so I could start figuring out this setup for sure! thanks a bunch man it's a lot to take in!

15. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

The water temperatures you see on fish profiles, are the temp ranges of the water the fish come from. Ideally, in an aquarium, you would have fish that all come from the same area, and then change your temp with the seasons. That is very rare in the hobby, as we like to pick and choose the fish we keep, and they often times come from different continents. Keeping a fish at the max or min temp in their range constantly, will likely shorten their life span, going above or below those temps as a constant, will for sure shorten the life span, could lead to stress, weakened immune system, and disease.

That being said, Rams prefer the tank to be kept at least 80 F, 82-84 is better for them. They will show their colors more and be a lot more active. This REALLY limits your stocking. I keep my tank at 80. I have 2 Golden Rams (different color of a blue ram), and 8 Albino Aeneus Cory cats that are doing well. I would suggest finding fish that have a max temp of 80-84 F if you want to go with the Ram. Or you can go with the Kribensis that Dom90 suggested or you can check out Apistogramma's, Rainbow Cichlids's, or Cockatoo Cichlid's.

I like your chart you made, as I made one very similar when I first started. You must be an analyst like me LOL.

Btw, Welcome to Fish Lore!

16. OP
    OP
    r

gotcha bud thanks, in that case I think I'll forget about the ram and go with another centerpiece that has a good range of 75-76 as I think that's what I'll keep my temp at.

I'll look into those fish yall suggested. haha thanks bud and yeah you can say that. it's really the only logical way to compare so many things between so many fish! thanks bud, im wanting shiny, active fish for my little cousin. thanks bud!

my girl friend is telling me she thinks his small tank is a 20 or 30 gallon but it's cracked, so he's gonna give me the next smaller one. so looks like I might be getting a bigger tank, 30 maybe 40?! go me!

17. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

The bigger the tank, the more options you have for fish that will work. :)

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. OP
    OP
    r

I know! :) that's why I'm hoping it's a 30gl or 40gl max! 40 would be squeezing for room in my room haha.

19. OP
    OP
    r

just found out it's a 40 gallon breeder tank! so good news for me, 36" L x 18" W x 16" H

20. TexasDomer

That's a great tank size! You have lots of options now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice