Overstocking issues Cichlid tank

1. Sedubius Member Member

Is there any issues with slightly overstocking a Lake Mawai cichild tank? I only ask because I've heard and read in a few places that it is good to slightly overstock cichlid tanks to help with aggression.

What are the dangers of overstocking?

Is there a way to limit or remove the dangers? eg water changes more often, overfilter the tank, ect.

Any info about slightly overstocking would be helpful. I ask here because this is one of the few places I trust for good fish advice.
    Thank you.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

overstocking is a way to keep them entertained....but at the same time, you want 1m to 2-3f when you are over stocking...thats the best way to keep the boys happy....IMO there is no way to stop their natural ways of "the chase" from going on :) Good Luck...

3. Sedubius Member Member

The problem is that I have no idea of my M-F ratio. The fish are fairly young and could not be identified at the time of purchase. Also finding conclusive evidence of this is hard. All the info I find points to things being likely signs of M or F but nothing solid.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I was the same way!!!! And still am to this day LOL
    Have a ton of hideaways and caves and just feed them a varied diet.
    What size tank are they in?
    These are my ULTIMATE favorite tanks to have running :)

5. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

+1 to Shawnie

You will also want to over filter, I have about 950 gph on my 60g. And make sure there is plenty (A lot) of rock work. Expspecialy if you have mbuna cichlids that is what there natural environment is

6. Sedubius Member Member

They are in a 37g for now. depending on how big they end up a bigger 75-90g will be in my future.
    Right now im running 240gph for my 37

7. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

IMO you should 10x what your tank size is So for you it would be 370gph