Overstocking For Agression

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept cichlids for some time. I used to keep kenyi and other mixed back in the 90's. Now I have assorted mbuna and such.
My question. How much overstocking for aggression issues? I know this is dependent on both the fish and keeper, but I've seen some pretty heavily stock 55g tanks, 15-20 fish.
Is that the magic number 15 or more?
I'm talking grown fish, 2-4 yr old 4/5/6 plus inch fish

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you're using a 55 with grown mbuna, 10-15 is probably a good number. Make sure you have strong filtration and good places to hide as well, that will help with the aggression.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Iridium_2256 said:
..........................good places to hide as well, that will help with the aggression.
That seems counter intuitive to me, giving good places to hide would cause more aggression because of ability to claim territory.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can put between 18 and 22 fish in your tank if you have lots of rocks to prevent "line of sight" aggression. You should have at least 10X gph on your filters. Plan on doing a half water change a week. And stay away from the more aggressive types of mbuna like auratus types, elongates types. I would recommend afras, zebras, lanidochrmis, they all have lots of different color morphs and are on the mellow side.

DSCN5061.JPG
DSCN5150.JPG

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, good on filtration and already do 50% at least once or more a week. I was considering removing rock, but I guess I'll add more with more fish.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alright, hear's where we're at. I almost split the tank up the middle longways. For a few days it was chaos. It now seems calmer. I did not add extra fish, yet. Hoping the "line of sight" trick was it.

Kels723

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey leftswerve! Just curious how things are going for you? Did you end up adding more cichlids?

I'm in a similar situation, I've got a 60 gallon with 7 malawi cichlids that are all jerks. I have one rusty that's getting beat up pretty bad, so I tried some dithers - it was a blood bath, started with 12 and only had 5 left by the next morning. Thinking about adding a few more cichlids but don't want to cause more problems, so...

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ended up adding more fish, the results are still inconclusive. IMO the dither fish idea will only work in a much larger tank. Some of my main aggression was male/Male. Had to let one go.

Kels723

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah, that makes sense. We have mostly males as well and I can see what you're talking about. Thanks for the update, if you wouldn't mind keeping me posted with how things go?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom