"Overstocking" a planted tank

1. v

vasyat Valued Member Member

Hi. I have a 16 gallon tank with a fluval aquaclear 20. It is moderately planted and stocked with 6 Marigold Platies and 9 amano shrimp. Although my tank is technically overstocked, at the end of the week BEFORE I do my weekly 25% water change, my parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. Despite using Seachem Flourish comprehensive, my anacharis and other plants look more yellow (they were green and growing like crazy during my fishless cycle when the Nitrate was > 40).
    Questions is given that my parameters are ideal and almost too good to keep my plants happy, can I add a few more platys? I was thinking of adding Seachem Nitrogen but would prefer to add a few more fish if possible. Thanks for your comments.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? Stocking is not just about bioload but the activity level of the inhabitants. They'll be happier if they have enough room to swim:)

3. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think 6 platies and shrimp in a 16g is overstocking by any means. At least not until they have babies.

4. OP
    OP
    v

The tank is 20" long x 10" wide x 19" high. Attached is a pic to give you a better idea. The platys I have seem to be happy and have places to hide and play- I hope it's a good home for them.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    v

They are all males so unless they adopt I don't think there will be any babies. How many platies could I comfortably add, or are there other suggestions? For example, can I maybe add a small school of neon or glolight tetras?

6. Aquaphobia

So it has the same footprint as a 10 gallon, just taller. Can you add something that lives in a different part of the tank? Some sort of small bottom dweller perhaps. Or a colony of shrimp!

7. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Your fine. Don't mess with it

8. Aquaphobia

Just saw this comment. Both those species of fish need to be in groups and are very active. They need at least a 20 long IMO. Plus I'm not sure that neon tetras are temperature compatible with platies.

I would stock it as if it's a 10 gallon but with some leeway because of the extra volume. I had a look at the 10 gallon stocking suggestions sticky and Asian Stone Catfish look like a neat idea for the bottom to me!