Overstocked??

tb19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 10 fishes in a 15 Gallon tank. 6 Tiger Barbs and 4 Skirt Tetras. Ammonia before addition of 3 new barbs today was 0 and nitrite 0. Ph is about 7.8.
Is this fine? How many water changes should I do weekly to keep the nitrate down?

dazzler

Reaction score
hI TB with all tanks there is a general rule of one gallon per inch of ADULT FISH so check the final size of these fish and then you will know. also some are bigger waste producers than others too this may also come to effect. the more room you can give them the easier it is for you in the long run. by this I mean the fish will be happier and healthier thus causing you less problems over all I have a 67g (250 litres) and only have 45inches of fish in there and they are insanely active!!!

regards Dazzler

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well the tiger barbs get 3 inches each, 3x6=18, so with JUST the barbs you are overstocked. Now, add the tetras at 2 inches each. 2x4=8, 18+8=26, so you are very overstocked.
Brianna

starshine

Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to get a new tank! ;D I'm always trying to find a reason to justify a new tank to my husband! You are overstocked, so you could either upgrade to a bigger tank as your fish grow, or take a few back to your fishstore. In the meantime, monitor your water quality very carefully, keep a vigilant eye out for signs of stress in your fishies, and do water changes as your water quality indicates. It's so easy to overstock...so many fish to choose from, yet never enough room, it seems...how unfair!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, MTS strikes again! You could get a 20 gallon for the Barbs and maybe add a couple tetras to your 15 gallon OR return 1 Barb and put the Tetras in a 10g.. or even just put the Tetras in a 10 gallon and keep up on the slight overload in the 15g.

OP
T

tb19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well I don't have much cash for a tank ...plus I have no idea of putting another tank around my house :-\

JMatt1983

Reaction score
the biggest thing is keeping on top of water changes, being overstocked a you are, you'll probably have to do 2-3 water changes per week instead of once

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tb19 said:
well I don't have much cash for a tank ...plus I have no idea of putting another tank around my house :-\
Yea, that's why we don't have a new rescue tank now, low on money. I'd also say just do the additional water changes and maybe test your water parameters a little more often to be sure things are ok. probably more frequent gravel cleaning to keep food & poop from boosting the ammonia and they'll be happy fish.

OP
T

tb19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah I really want to keep them all Well I always do the water changes every week. I vacuum the gravel every time I do the water change as well. Plus I use amquel to treat the ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. But I'm not sure if that enough to keep them happy

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tb19 said:
yeah I really want to keep them all Well I always do the water changes every week. I vacuum the gravel every time I do the water change as well. Plus I use amquel to treat the ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. But I'm not sure if that enough to keep them happy
It probably will be, just have to do it more often is all. I'd only use Amquel if the parameters are kind of bad. It messes with the nitrogen cycle from what I hear and costs a bit, I can't believe how fast the bottle seems to get empty. They have you caring for them & their well-being so they'll do good and be good pets for you.

OP
T

tb19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah it is a bit pricy...i'll probably switch to Prime. thanx for the advice

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tb19 said:
yeah it is a bit pricy...i'll probably switch to Prime. thanx for the advice
I've heard a lot of good about Prime. We can't get it locally, but will order some with our next order at DFS.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
hI tb19. as your ammonia is zero, why are you using amquel? i'm a little puzzled!! also you haven't posted your nitrate. what are your nitrates like? they need to be kept below 20. if they get near or over 20, do water changes (20-50%) as often as it takes to keep the nitrates down. live plants can help with nitrates as they use them as food. when overstocked it may mean you doing water changes a few times a week to keep on top of the nitrates but worth it to keep your fishes happy!
tan

OP
T

tb19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well I use amquel just incase the ammonia goes up. and I belive my nitrates are at .5

OP
T

tb19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sorry... I meant 5.0

OP
T

tb19

Reaction score
Experience