Overstocked? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SuperD14, Aug 8, 2019.

1. SuperD14

SuperD14Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +104
    I have a 160litre planted aquarium with 18 harlequin rasboras in it. I use an 800lph external filter and a 2000lph internal wavemaker for some flow. Is this overstocked? If not, is there a way for me to get the rasboras to actually school up together?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    2 years
    I dont think your tank is overstocked. How long have they been in there and how long has the tank been running. They could just be comfortable in their habitat and are spreading themselves around in a sense. I got 12 vonrios recently and they were pretty tight in my 55 for a week or so but have since explored all over the tank. and since split into a couple groups where some hang with the guppies some hang with the ever so viscious serpaes and the rest just play tag with each other. The only time their really close by is lunchtime

3. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +181
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Definitely not overstocked. I have 12 cardinals and 10 Harlequins in my community tank and they rarely school together. I only see them in a bunch early in the morning and sometimes about an hour before the sunset setting on the light cuts in. They seem to have an internal clock.

4. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Ratings:
    +104
    I’ve really started taking a liking to harlequins now. About two years ago I got 6 and after complications with tank mates, I only had one left. When I did the planted tank it was the only fish so I bought 5 more. And then I bought 12 more a few days ago and they’re so comfortable they’re just all spread around the tank. They share it with 6 black chin livebearers and 4 baby bristlenoses.

a9fd1137bd008f21e9708d8e77ebd761.

Unfortunately I only have one harlequin with that nice colour and I believe he’s a copper harlequin. The others must just be normal harlequin rasboras.

5. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +181
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Nice tank! Harlequins are really nice fish. I have a school of 10 and they are pretty.

6. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Ratings:
    +104
    Yeah they are, Ive got the Fluval aqua sky light and I’ve found that if you reduce the white and have red on 100% it really brings out those orange/red undertones!!

7. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Experience:
    1 year
    Lovely scape.

I can't seem to keep them alive, tried twice, first with 6 Purples that started spawning after a week then died off and recently I bought 12 and crashed my cycle, fun stuff. I've got one atm with my Honey and Pearl Gourami, i'll probably pick up more at some point.

8. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Ratings:
    +104
    Hm. I thought they were pretty hardy, moved tanks multiple times, tropical to cold water and back again. Maybe you got a weak batch?

9. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Experience:
    1 year
    Potentially, I was relatively new to fish keeping when I picked up the Purples, so there's always a chance I did something wrong. Actually I remember I lost 3, then moved my Tiger Barbs in with them, that didn't go well, so I moved them in with my Opaline who was living with Ember Tetras at the time and he hunted them down.

The recent Harlequins where the last 12 in stock, definitely a few bad ones, it was stupid on my part really, I thought I compensated by moving fish out but I added a Moonlight Gourami as well and I'm pretty sure I forgot to change the water that week, all those factors came together to bite me.

10. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Ratings:
    +104
    The ones I got, a few have deformed tails and rounded off heads and things. I think it’s partly due to so much inbreeding that these types of problems may sometimes arise and fish end up with weakened immune systems and deformities as there is no natural predators who would be able to remove the not so healthy ones.