Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Overstocked...??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Zai, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ZaiValued MemberMember

I have a 20gal high (dimensions are 24.2 x 12.5 x 19.5 inches)
    Filter is an aqueon quietflow 10 (website says the gph is 100, though aqadvisor puts it at 20 {since they only use 65% of the listed gph).

in the tank i have
    • 6 neon tetras
    • 6 corydoras (3 albinos, 3 bronze)
    • 1 giant ramshorn snail (Marisa cornuarietis {which aqadvisor doesnt have available for listing xD})
    AqAdvisor says i should get more filtration (has it listed at 93%), now my question is, should i listen and get more filtration?
    I wanted to get a centerpiece fish, thinking some sunset gouramis, or possible a trio of something else that would be compatible, but wanted to be sure my tank could handle it.
    Or even just one of something that wouldn't mind being alone, though if its small and can handle my 76-78F water, I wouldn't mind more that one on the grounds it didn't breed easily.

2. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I'd say you're under-stocked and under-filtered, so it maybe works right now but might not if you add more fish.

A good rule of thumb for a typically-stocked tank is 8x-10x tank turnover per hour with a HOB, which would be 160-200 GPH for a 20g. You might supplement with another filter or replace with a larger unit to increase filtration.

I'm of the opinion that you can never have too much filtration - only too much current sometimes. ;)

3. ZaiValued MemberMember

i was planning on adding a sponge filter meant for a 10 gal (Lustar Hydro-Sponge Filter I), but not sure how much filtration that would add to the tank.
    i'm pretty happy with my tank as is and honestly might stick with adding 2 more neons to make the school bigger. they hide most of the time so i really only ever see the corys xD
    only reason im considering more is because the corys and neons both stay at the bottom, so the mid and top of the tank are empty and sad xD

4. ZaiValued MemberMember

I think i'll add the sponge filter and 6 male endlers to the tank. cover the top of the tank with some pretty easy to care for flashy fish. aqadvisor says this will work out for me and i'd be at 110% filtration. ill make that an even 100 considering i have a fairly large snail in the tank that i can't take into account on aqadvisor (though with an apple snail added, it says 103% and i know those snails get big lol.)

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

The filter your using is for a 10gal tank. Sponge filter will help but I would get something for a 30gal for that tank. More is allways better. Right now your fish are ok and the filtration is keeping up. But if you add the fish you listed that filter will not keep up.
    How often do you change the water and how much do you change?

6. ZaiValued MemberMember

50 percent every week, though right now its every other day bc of some ammonia on the tap water issues. the quiet flow 10 came with the kit, but I eventually want to get something better. I'll up the sponge filter to one that's meant for a 20 if that's the case, and switch out the hob one when I can
    Also the quietflow 10 is marketed for up to 20 gallons I believe

7. JenCWell Known MemberMember

If you get endlers (which I love, and are all over the tank in my experience) make sure you only get males. They'll quickly overstock the tank if you let them breed. Guppies/endlers are fry-making machines.

I suggest an Aquaclear 50 if you're looking to upgrade the filter. I have two Aquaclears and think they're great. Again, I strongly believe that more filtration is better.

8. ZaiValued MemberMember

I plan on all males and yeah I have an aquaclear on my list but it's a touch pricier than I can afford next month XD the plan is to update it June or July, give the new biomedia I added to the quietflow more time to accumulate BB

9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Marine land 50 on eBay $19 free shipping. 200gph. I use these and change the cartridge for a sponge and a bag of matrix. They run great.
    Anything sold with a kit is undersized.

10. ZaiValued MemberMember

Thank you, I'll look into that!