Overstocked?

The Lonely King

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When i started the hobby i was like most people "Fish only need filter, water, and a heater" but of course i was wrong when i knew about the nitrogen cycle i tried my best to save every fish i had and i did it.
but now i got a problem i have guppies in my tank and now they are going to take over my tank.

Here is the list of the fish i got:
-2 Guppies
-1 Platy
-5 neon Tetras
-5 Guppy fry(2 Weeks Old)
and here is my parameters and some information about my tank:
-Ammonia 0
-Nitrit 0
-Nitrate 20
-54 liters tank(14 U.S Gallons)
now you are probably wondering how i don't have Bacteria Problem it's beacuse i have two filters:
-Eheiem 45
-Eheiem 60
and my tank is pretty much overfiltered.
But Is my Tank Overstocked ?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't say you are overstocked currently but with the guppies you very soon will be, it happened to me years ago, my tank was overrun & I had so many I couldn't give them away, in the end I had to get another tank & separate the males from the females & gradually got them under control, good luck!!!

PS I've never touched live bearers since

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Youre okay right now, but the guppies are about to get out of control. Either find something to put in there to eat them or take your female to the pet shop and trade her for a male.

The Lonely King

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
Youre okay right now, but the guppies are about to get out of control. Either find something to put in there to eat them or take your female to the pet shop and trade her for a male.
It's a good idea i tried it but the shop didn't execpt the fish fearing that my fish could have disease and end up killing thier fish
i live in a small town we only have two fish stores and the other one i won't give them my guppy they could kill her last time i bought 3 platys from them and i ended up with losing 2 platys and one guppy because of camallanus worms

i have only two plants in my tank so
may be the guppies are going to eat thier children and the problem is sloved
but these 5 fry survived just by eating algea and hiding and now they swim with thier parents and eating normal food
may be i can remove the plants when a pregnant guppy give birth and it will give the fry almost 0% to survive.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Lonely King said:
It's a good idea i tried it but the shop didn't execpt the fish fearing that my fish could have disease and end up killing thier fish
i live in a small town we only have two fish stores and the other one i won't give them my guppy they could kill her last time i bought 3 platys from them and i ended up with losing 2 platys and one guppy because of camallanus worms

i have only two plants in my tank so
may be the guppies are going to eat thier children and the problem is sloved
but these 5 fry survived just by eating algea and hiding and now they swim with thier parents and eating normal food
may be i can remove the plants when a pregnant guppy give birth and it will give the fry almost 0% to survive.
You'll be surprised, some will ALWAYS survive & they will then breed in turn, the only way to control it is to separate the males & females & even then the females will continue to spawn for a time as they can store the male's sperm internally for quite some time & so still give birth even when no males are present, I know people who love guppies will disagree but if there is such a thing as a 'pest' fish then guppies are it

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seasoldier said:
You'll be surprised, some will ALWAYS survive & they will then breed in turn, the only way to control it is to separate the males & females & even then the females will continue to spawn for a time as they can store the male's sperm internally for quite some time & so still give birth even when no males are present, I know people who love guppies will disagree but if there is such a thing as a 'pest' fish then guppies are it
I agree my female guppy was giving birth for months after I separated her from the male. I've since sent the female and her two daughters to live with my mother while the father and the three sons have their own fraternity tank. No other fry have survived (they somehow ended up in my 55 which is full of predators ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom