Overstocked? Question

1. ClimbingKitty Member Member

36 gallon bowfront with an AquaClear50

I think I got a little overzealous with my fish purchasing. Am I done or can I add in a centerpiece fish (honey gourami)? Anything I should get rid of?

1 male cobra guppy
    3 male endler hybrids
    8 neon tetras
    7 harlequin rasboras
    5 peppered corys
    5 kuhli loaches
    4 otocinclus
  2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I think you have too many schooler fish, so you might want to remove one of the groups. You may also have one too many species of bottom dwellers, usually you want to keep it limited to one species per tank, unless it’s a larger tank.

3. ClimbingKitty Member Member

thank you for the reply! How many schooling fish would you suggest for a tank this size? I can always downsize my schools as I would really like to have two dif schools. I'm not a huge fan of the loaches. I can prob rehome them.
  4. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I would only suggest having about twelve of one species, so you can choose between the neons or harlequins.

5. ClimbingKitty Member Member

got it! thank you!
  6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you're fine with neons and harlequins in this sized tank - 8 or so of each should be fine. However, the endlers need cooler water than the peppered cories and the neons, and I also would not keep both cories and kuhlis together in this tank.
  7. Nataku Well Known Member Member

I would not keep the corydoras and the kuhlis together. Corydoras will usually outcompete the kuhlis for food.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with TD.