Overstocked?

1. Donovan20th Initiate Member

I'm relatively new to the hobby , and I just finished stocking my ten gallon tank and I just want to make sure everything is good and I'm not overstocked and that all my fish will be okay in this tank for the future I have
    1x Dwarf Gourami
    1x German Blue Ram
    3x Peppered Cories
    1x Mystery Snail
    1x Hillstream Loach
    5x Ghost Shrimp

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thank you !

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Hi! Welcome to fishlore. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have issues, mostly related to the size of your tank.

For more information click any word highlighted in blue.

The hillstream loach has a recommended tank size of 55 gallons. Because they eat mostly biofilm and algae, (also meaty foods like bloodworms, but that's not the issue here) they should be stocked in tanks that have had a chance to mature. You're going to need to feed it what it's missing or it will starve.

The current recommendation for all shoaling or schooling fish is six. Because of their habits, cories need at least a 20 gallon tank. Even the little ones.

The ghosts are okay.

The mystery snail is okay, but be aware they need to be fed like a fish. See the invertebrates forum for suggestions.

The gourami is okay, but I don't know about keeping them with rams. Those aren't fish I know well.

My advice would be to upgrade! If not, you need to look into making some adjustments.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Neither dwarf gouramis nor rams are appropriate for a 10 gal, and the ram isn't temp compatible with the cories or the loach.

So you have two options:
    1. Upgrade your tank to a 20 gal minimum and rehome the cories and the loach or the loach and the ram.

2. Rehome all the fish and restock with fish appropriate for a 10 gal.

Here's a nice, long list of appropriate fish. Also, let us know if you want suggestions!

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-stocking-questions/207629-stocking-list-10-gallons.html