Overstocked?

1. fighter55 Member Member

Hi! I have a question about my friends fish tank. He bought a Marineland LED Light with a Biowheel filter(not sure of dimensions) 20 gallon tank. He wants to know if the stock he has in it right now is overstocking, so I'm asking the question for him. In the tank he has 1 Spotted Ctenopoma, about 1 1/2", and a full grown male electric blue ram(3"). The pH and water hardness are correct(soft and acidic) as well as the temperature(80-81 degrees) I think. Ammonia and Nitrates are(Ammonia at 0) low too. The Ram and Ctenopoma get along fairly peacefully, with each having it's own side of the tank. So, is this overstocking? I'm really not sure.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well, I've seen a full grown ctenopoma and it was the size of my hand - too big for a 20. My first grew to about 4 inches, but it got nasty so I gave it away and got another. This one has also grown to 4 inches, and gets aggressive with the congo tetras sometimes. It's not done growing, but I don't expect it to get to the size of the one in the display tank. I'll get a pic of it next time. SO, I still think a 20 is too small for it.

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

A 20 is too small for a Spotted Ctenopoma. So, yes, technically your friend is over stocked. They need a minimum of 30g but larger is recommended. I think it would be best if your friend rehomed his Ctenopoma and replaced it with a school of about 10 neons and maybe another ram.

4. fighter55 Member Member

He's thinking about rehoming the ctenopoma, but he also wants me to come up with more options. He doesn't want another ram since he would only get another one if he wanted them to mate, and he wants to know if he could have a shoal of panda cories instead of neons. He also wants to get a honey gourami. He thinks that the stock should be this: 5-6 Panda Cories, 1 Electric Blue Ram, and 1 Honey Gourami

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would go with the pygmy corys, but pandas aren't that bad as they are smaller than regular corys.

I think them, the ram, gourami and then some small schooling fish for the top of the tank.

6. fighter55 Member Member

Would black neons work?

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

They could, I might look more at rasboras as they as far as I have seen like to stay up towards the top of the tank. The ram may feel as the bottom of the tank is his and may not take to a school taking up his space, then again that could always chase the black neons to the top level and everyone would be happy.

8. fighter55 Member Member

He like the H. Rasbora Danios. I think they're ok.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Black neons swim in the top half of the tank, but I think they are right at the border of too big. They could and would most likely work fine, but I would look for a smaller fish.

10. fighter55 Member Member

What about white clouds or jumbo neons? Also: Rasbora Briggitae or Red Phantom?

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup the H rasobra danios are great, a lot of times just shortened to harleys lol

I personally love white clouds myself and they are fun to watch, give them a current and enjoy the show.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

neons tend to stay in the bottom half of the tank.

13. fighter55 Member Member

Red Phantoms or Rasbora B. ok too? Sorry, he keeps changing his mind. We are literally scrolling through the list and he's like, "Oh, this one! No wait this one!" lol

14. escapay Well Known Member Member

White Clouds would be too hot in the current temperature of the tank. They are more of a temperate fish and do better in something cooler than 80F. ;)

Also, I would definitely have your friend finalize what ahe plans on putting in the tank for long term before buying something - so good in looking up different fish. Then once a finalization has been reached, wait another week or two. I personally would not like being stuck with something that I thought would be great, but then realized that I want something else.

15. fighter55 Member Member

:(:(:(:(Oh no! Horrible news!!!! My friend just lost his job!:( Literally researching fish for the 20 and his boss called and gave the horrible news....:( His job was the funding of his fish tank. He went home now to go to his parents house, out of the country..:( Since his fish are in desperate need of a caretaker(ctenopoma and ram) they are going to be my fish now, in the 20 gallon. The ctenopoma is going to move in with big blue's 40 gallon, and i'm going to keep the Ram in the 20 and carry out my friends plan. Lotta Fish on my hands now...:(

16. ryankaren Initiate Member

sorry to hear but atleast it sounds like his fish are staying in good hands hopefully will work out for him soon though

17. fighter55 Member Member

Yeah, maybe once he recuperates he'll be able to get a new tank, or take his old fish back.

18. fighter55 Member Member

The 20 Gallon and Ram are now in my house and are doing well. Getting the Corys next week.