Overstocked? Think I made a boo boo

1. D

Dyanomo New Member Member

I just posted a thread about a suspiciously pregnant looking Platy and it's been suggested I might be overstocked. Which is very annoying as I did some research and the two aquariums I went to said I could have 18-20 platies in a 85 litre tank.

I have 8 platies and 4 mollies.

Too much you think?
    [​IMG]

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately I agree that you are overstocked. Do you know the dimensions of your tank?

Mollies can get rather large and usually require 30 gallons minimum with a 30 inch footprint (some even say they need 36 inches). Your platies are likely fine though depending on the footprint.

3. OP
    OP
    D

Tank size is 60x40x35 (wxhxd)cm

Does that make any difference? Hoping so, otherwise I'll return some fish. I don't want to make them sick.

How many do you think I should return?

4. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

85 liters is about 22 gallons if my math is correct. The tank seems to me similar to a twenty gallon high. I think if you return the mollies, you should be good to go, but I'm not the best with stocking.
    -Potato

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree that after rehoming the mollies, you are fully stocked. You could maybe add some shrimp and/or snails.

6. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Basically a 20 high. Are you wanting to stick with platies only? Because the mollies need to be rehomed for that tank.
    @Anders247 , @el337, and @TexasDomer what do you guys think? How many platies can go in a 20 high?

edit: ninja'd by el

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

For sticking platies after getting rid of the mollies, I would say 4 and see how that goes. Platies poop a lot, so that's why I am only saying 4.

8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Also if you have a mixed gender batch, you're going to be overrun with fry pretty soon so that's something else to consider. If you don't want babies, return the females and either get more males or stock a bit differently with other compatible fish?

9. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you all so much. I only found this forum AFTER I had set up my tank and bought the fish. You think that the 'experts' in the shops should really know all of this. They were so regimented (and quite rightly) on testing my water levels etc before they'd even let me buy fish, but then to sell me too many....and more if they could! Very naughty.

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think 6 male platies in a 20 gal high is pretty stocked, not including inverts.