Overstocked Tank?

Davidz123

Reaction score
Hey

So I was visiting aqadvisor to let me know if I was hitting my overstocked limit. However I did out that it isn't so accurate.

I have a 29 gallon fish tank that has an Aqueon quietflow 50.
It is heavily stocked with ornaments/hiding spots as well as 2 plants that conceal the corners where they are placed.

Current fish in there now are
2 albino corys
4 emerald corys
2 glo light tetra
7 black neon tetra
7 neon tetra
6 female guppies
2 bristle nose pleco
1clown pleco
1 cherry barb
3 platys

All fish are in their juvenile stages and are not adults yet. I do plan on upgrading to a 75 gallon in the future.

On aqadvisor, it notifies me that my stocking level is at 106% and filtration is at 126%. So seems that things aren't so out of line (besides the fact that the barb, glow light tetras need to be in schools of 5 or more)

Let me know your thoughts! Please no knocking me down - I am asking for advice.

Thanks

Davidz123

Reaction score
Thank you. Clown pleco? I know that they aren't so much algae eaters and that they tend to just thrive on their sinking food as well as driftwood. I thought the bristlenose would make good algae eaters and as they don't grow to be massive.

I will look to re home some of the fish into my mothers community tank which currently holds 3 community fish in a 38 gallon

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your cherry barbs, tetras and corys all need to be in groups of 6+ as well, so I'd either look at rehoming or increasing their numbers (you'll need to rehome some other fish or move them to another tank to do this, though)

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would seriously think about upgrading to the 75g sooner (aka now) rather than later. A lot of those fish do appreciate schools of their own kind, and some - more notably the plecos - are massive poop machines - and you have 3.

Once in the 75g, consider upgrading some of the fish there and setting up your current tank for a small community.

Fishoholic23

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just going to put it out here that plecos are not good algae eaters. They will/do eat algae, but you are much better suited at getting snails like a nerite snail. Mine makes WORK in my 20 gallon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom