Overstocked Tank Problem

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by amariel9, Apr 25, 2018.

1. amariel9Valued MemberMember

I have 11 panda corys, 6 peacock gudgeons, and 3 tetras in a 20 gallon long tank. I made the mistake of not checking on here before buying the fish, and now I'm stuck with more fish than I have room for. The best solution I can think of is to get another tank and split the fish up between the two tanks because I don't know of anybody I can re-home the fish to. The problem is, I can't afford to buy everything to set up another tank right now, and I don't have any additional cycled filter media, so even if I could buy another tank + the supplies, it would be weeks before I could put fish in it. So my question is, if I keep up on my water changes, and keep my water parameters at a good level, will the 20 gallon tank be sufficient to house them temporarily? If not, I would love any ideas you have to offer, and thanks so much in advance!

2. skllkdNew MemberMember

Hey

Unfortunately no - and for many reasons. You’d end up with stressed fish, and sadly dead ones too.

Have you thought about returning them to your fish store? Most stores will get them back (not always giving you your money back, but at least they’ll take care of the fish).

Is your tank cycled? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

3. amariel9Valued MemberMember

I bought them from aquatic arts, so I don't think they'll take them back. B
    My tank is fully cycled, and I kind of doubt I'll be able to return the fish because I ordered them online. I don't have a local fish store near by. :(

4. skllkdNew MemberMember

Hm

Here’s the thing - the rule is about 1 inch per 1 gallon (even though I don’t believe this is ideal for the fish... but let’s say it is)

You’ve got 11 Corys x adult size is 1.5 inch = 16,5
    6 peacock gudgeon x adult size 2,5 inches = 15
    3 tetra (cardinal or neon tetra) = between 4,5 and 6

So basically you have a ratio of 37 for 20... which is not ideal at all.

You can house them in there temporarily - if you’re setting up a new 20 gallon tank. You could set up the second tank more easily by seeding it (rub the new filter media with the old one, transfer some decore from the old tank to the new one).

Also - check with Aquatic Arts. I couldn’t find their return policy - just send them an email, it’s worth a try.

5. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

They will be fine for a short period of time in your setup yes. No there's no reason to return or rehome them just be sure you don't slack in your maintenance!

Get your new tank and filter then take half your current filter media and add it to the new filter the day you add fish. You'll have to watch both tanks for spikes for a week or so and maybe a few extra water changes at first but within a couple weeks both tanks cycles will be completely caught up to their stock and you'll have happy and healthy fish.

6. puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

1 inch per gallon is very flawed please dont recomend that to someone.

yes its fine for you to house them in there temporarily

7. InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

One thing to make the setup much easier in the new tank is simple- hook the new filter up in the old tank for a couple of days before adding it to the new tank. Just don't let them dry out while transferring, or leave them out of the water for even a minute if possible.

8. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Never use the 1 inch per gallon rule, period. You'll end up with a disaster on your hands

9. InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

Agreed about the 1 inch per gallon rule, my 5 inch bristlenose catfish needs a 25 gallon tank for territory. Also my 2 inch apple snail needs a 10 gallon tank. >_>

10. amariel9Valued MemberMember

Update: I bought another tank and all the necessary supplies, and I'm setting it up tomorrow. I'm going to put one of the sponge filters from the cycled tank in the new tank to jump start the cycle, and I'm going to keep a close eye on my water parameters and keep up with my water changes. Thank you guys so much for the advice so far, and please let me know if there's anything else you can think of that I can improve on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice