Overstocked Tank Full Of Female Kenyi Cichlids What Do I Do?

aquarius-the-caretaker

ok so my neigbor gave us this tank full of female kenyI cichlids and I think the tank is a ten gallon tank? Not too sure but I know for a fact that the tank is WAY too small for 8
( I just estimated cause there's like a bunch of them and I just got them last night) female kenyI cichlids... I did some research and saw that they grow to be 6 inches long and I know the one inch=one gallon rule as a golden rule for keeping fish... I don't know what to do with the cichlids, I have just starting advanced fish keeping... the fish that lived with me the most is a betta fish that lived for 3 years in a small tank.

FishFish221

1) The one inch per gallon rule is inaccurate, if you would like an example, a 10 inch oscar would not work in a 10 gallon tank. It does not account for the swimming space and other requirements of fish.

2) To house the cichlids properly, get a larger tank, such as an 75 gallon.

Lindsay83

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

As above, the inch per gallon rule is ohtdated and flawed. I'm no expert in Mbuna cichlids, but maybe these will help until someone who does have experience, comes along:

And our own:
KenyI Cichlid

I do believe it is common with African Cihlids, to keep them in overstocked tanks to avoid territorial aggression, but obviously not 6x 6" fish in a 10gal, lol.

chromedome52

Juveniles are blue like the females, males don't turn yellow until they are starting to mature. At an inch, it is likely that the fish are either immature or severely stunted, which can also prevent a male from showing sexual maturity.

They need at least a 4 foot tank, and lots of rocks to hide in. Not sure why some sites say they are ok with other species, as generally they are one of the most aggressive Mbuna available, and not just with their own kind. You would need equally aggressive fish to house with them.

Castiel*

This has pretty much covered all the bases so far. The minimum size they should be kept in is a 55 gallon tank or a 4 foot tank foot print.

If you can't get a bigger tank for them, check with your LFS to see if they will take them in for some store credit or if you can't find anybody maybe try craigslist. I've purchased some of my best breeder males from local breeders.

Katie13

The one inch per gallon rule is a flawed method. What are the tank dimensions? I would see if a store would take them or if you can give them away.

aquarius-the-caretaker

FishFish221 said:
1) The one inch per gallon rule is inaccurate, if you would like an example, a 10 inch oscar would not work in a 10 gallon tank. It does not account for the swimming space and other requirements of fish.

2) To house the cichlids properly, get a larger tank, such as an 75 gallon.
Thanks for the advice everyone but money is kind of a problem and ive recounted today and saw that there are more than 8 and they are juveniles since they are an inch or less cause their sizes vary but none of them are over 1.5 inches that's for sure

aquarius-the-caretaker

Deciding to maybe give them to ppl with more suitable homes for them but the final decision isn't mine of course that's for my parents to make

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom