OVERSTOCKED OR NOT??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, Jul 29, 2005.

1. CraigWell Known MemberMember

would my tank be overstocked if i had 2 guppies 1 red fire dwarf gourami 1 golden gourami 1 small pleco sucker fish and 2 small clown loaches?? i have a 17 gallon tank i need ur help once again guys!! im just wonderin cause thats what im hopin 2 get in but i would also like a cory catfish ???

help would b much appreciated guys as always and girls lol cheers C W

2. fletchValued MemberMember

No not at all.your fine with that amount of fish. You should also get a group of corys rather than just one. 1" of fish to 1 gallon. Is that US gallons?

3. OP
    OP
    C

CraigWell Known MemberMember

yeah it is its like 16-17 US gallons if they only grow 2 the size of my tank it will b great fletch my freind u r a legend lol

4. fletchValued MemberMember

huh? i thought you were from n.ireland?

5. OP
    OP
    C

yeah i am from northern ireland but thats what the conversion is in2 US gallons

6. fletchValued MemberMember

Oh, thanks. but means nothing to me!! im a bit closer to home than that!!! LOLZ :)
    South england

7. OP
    OP
    C

63litres in2 US gallons is like 16.7 gallons

8. OP
    OP
    C

do u just go buy litres?? i think its like 3 cm of fish per every litre

9. OP
    OP
    C

do u not have 2 keep the clown loaches in a bigger tank???? will they b all right in my 1??

10. FishFanValued MemberMember

The Pleco will not work. They need at LEAST a 55 gallon tank because they can grow at least 18".

11. OP
    OP
    C

the thing about the pleco is when it outgrows my tank i can give it 2 my best m8 and then he'll sell it in the pet store or he'll keep it but they grow pretty slowly his pleco has grown about an inch in 8 or 9 months

12. OP
    OP
    C

im always in so early in here lol different time zones ah but anyway i did sum calculations the 4 fish i hav in my tank at the minute have taken up 6.6 gallons so plenty of room left guys fully grown its about 8 gallons so still room left im gettin my new batch next weekend probably friday up in G T's and Pets At Home < they have the smallest plecos ive ever seen lol so i'll tell u all how my new arrivals get on

thanks C W

13. fletchValued MemberMember

Craig. mate. thats like saying do you go by euros in northern ireland! NO weve got the same measurements!!!!! :)

14. OP
    OP
    C

lol yeah POUNDS £ all the way :D

15. fletchValued MemberMember

Craig. mate. thats like saying do you go by euros in northern ireland! NO weve got the same measurements!!!!!  :)

16. AlphaOmegaNew MemberMember

i think the whole pleco thing is a bit over-rated...
    they grow REALLY slowly, like REALLY!!!
    i've got a six, maybe seven year old at 5". i know the whole 'fish dont grow bigger than the tank they're in' theory has been mostly dispelled, but some of the older fish i have that apparantly are supposed to be HUGE aren't!!! i assume mostly to do with the tank size, but then again..?! who knows but the fishes :D

17. OP
    OP
    C

i totally agree with u m8. My best m8s tank which he has had 4 a year or so his fish that he has in it r meant 2 b huge like the pleco and has only grown like an inch and abit it is very over rated i think as well

18. FishFanValued MemberMember

I really am not trying to discourage you, but my Plecos grow quite fast. My Little Monster was maybe 2-3" when I got him about 7 weeks ago. I'd have to say he's close to 5" now. I kid you not. And the Monster, he was about 6-7"" or so when I got him and he's maybe 9-10" now. Just letting you know ;)

19. Miss MouseWell Known MemberMember

Thats amazing!! Mine has also grown very slowly :-\ I've had him about 5 months and he's still the same size. I dont mind though - I've still got to set up my large tank for him.

20. OP
    OP
    C

im hopefully gettin mine on friday cant wait !!! ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice