OVERSTOCKED OR NOT??

1. Craig Well Known Member Member

would my tank be overstocked if i had 2 guppies 1 red fire dwarf gourami 1 golden gourami 1 small pleco sucker fish and 2 small clown loaches?? i have a 17 gallon tank i need ur help once again guys!! im just wonderin cause thats what im hopin 2 get in but i would also like a cory catfish ???

help would b much appreciated guys as always and girls lol cheers C W

2. fletch Member Member

No not at all.your fine with that amount of fish. You should also get a group of corys rather than just one. 1" of fish to 1 gallon. Is that US gallons?

3. Craig Well Known Member Member

yeah it is its like 16-17 US gallons if they only grow 2 the size of my tank it will b great fletch my freind u r a legend lol

4. fletch Member Member

huh? i thought you were from n.ireland?

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

yeah i am from northern ireland but thats what the conversion is in2 US gallons

6. fletch Member Member

Oh, thanks. but means nothing to me!! im a bit closer to home than that!!! LOLZ :)
    South england

7. Craig Well Known Member Member

63litres in2 US gallons is like 16.7 gallons

8. Craig Well Known Member Member

do u just go buy litres?? i think its like 3 cm of fish per every litre

9. Craig Well Known Member Member

do u not have 2 keep the clown loaches in a bigger tank???? will they b all right in my 1??

10. FishFan Member Member

The Pleco will not work. They need at LEAST a 55 gallon tank because they can grow at least 18".

11. Craig Well Known Member Member

the thing about the pleco is when it outgrows my tank i can give it 2 my best m8 and then he'll sell it in the pet store or he'll keep it but they grow pretty slowly his pleco has grown about an inch in 8 or 9 months

12. Craig Well Known Member Member

im always in so early in here lol different time zones ah but anyway i did sum calculations the 4 fish i hav in my tank at the minute have taken up 6.6 gallons so plenty of room left guys fully grown its about 8 gallons so still room left im gettin my new batch next weekend probably friday up in G T's and Pets At Home < they have the smallest plecos ive ever seen lol so i'll tell u all how my new arrivals get on

thanks C W

13. fletch Member Member

Craig. mate. thats like saying do you go by euros in northern ireland! NO weve got the same measurements!!!!! :)

14. Craig Well Known Member Member

lol yeah POUNDS £ all the way :D

15. fletch Member Member

Craig. mate. thats like saying do you go by euros in northern ireland! NO weve got the same measurements!!!!!  :)

16. AlphaOmega Initiate Member

i think the whole pleco thing is a bit over-rated...
    they grow REALLY slowly, like REALLY!!!
    i've got a six, maybe seven year old at 5". i know the whole 'fish dont grow bigger than the tank they're in' theory has been mostly dispelled, but some of the older fish i have that apparantly are supposed to be HUGE aren't!!! i assume mostly to do with the tank size, but then again..?! who knows but the fishes :D

17. Craig Well Known Member Member

i totally agree with u m8. My best m8s tank which he has had 4 a year or so his fish that he has in it r meant 2 b huge like the pleco and has only grown like an inch and abit it is very over rated i think as well

18. FishFan Member Member

I really am not trying to discourage you, but my Plecos grow quite fast. My Little Monster was maybe 2-3" when I got him about 7 weeks ago. I'd have to say he's close to 5" now. I kid you not. And the Monster, he was about 6-7"" or so when I got him and he's maybe 9-10" now. Just letting you know ;)

19. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Thats amazing!! Mine has also grown very slowly :-\ I've had him about 5 months and he's still the same size. I dont mind though - I've still got to set up my large tank for him.

20. Craig Well Known Member Member

im hopefully gettin mine on friday cant wait !!! ;D