Overstocked Aquarium? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishFor2018, Jun 21, 2018.

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

so I got a neon tetra and a harlequin Rasbora 3 days ago not knowing that they had to live in large groups of the SAME fish. Right now they are in a 10 gallon tank with 3 snails, 2 emerald Corydoras, and 3 GloFish tetras witch they sometimes school with the GloFish. I have 3 other tanks that are ALL cycled. A 10 gallon with a docile/friendly Betta and a mystery snail, a 10 gallon with a Betta that will attack anything else in the tank including snails, and a 7 gallon with 6 fancy guppy fry. I CANNOT get another tank. I’ve tried taking them back to the pet store and they said no, and i’ve tried rehomeing and nothing. Please help!
    Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated!

I just bought a neon tetra and a Harlequin Rasbora 4 days ago not knowing they needed to school with the SAME BREED of fish. Lol my bad. Anyways right now I have a super overstocked tank it’s a 10 gallon with 3 GloFish tetras, 2 emerald Corydoras, 1 mystery snail, 2 apple nerite snails, and now a neon and a Rasbora. I have another 10 gallon with a docile/friendly male Betta as well as 2 mystery snails (but one hasn’t moved or come out of its shell in days and I don’t know why) I was thinking I could put the Corydoras in there and get 1 maybe 2 more since they do better in larger numbers. But my tank would still be overstocked....right? The Rasbora and the neon do school together all the time and sometimes with the GloFish... so are they good? I don’t want to get rid of any tanks or fish or snails. I also have a 7 gallon guppy fry tank that has 6 guppies in.. maybe I could put the 2 nerite snails in there? I don’t really have the money nor space for another tank lol
    Any help/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Have you posted on the barter board yet?

3. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

yes

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Huh. I don't see your listing. Where are you at?

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Rasbora, Cories, Glofish, Neons are all schooling fish. Swimming together occasionally isn’t schooling, and they need their own kind to school with. I’d urge you to rehome all of them except the Glofish, 10 gallons simply isn’t enough space for the others.

6. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

that is unrealistic.
    you will need to rehome the corys and neon tetras because they are to big for a 10 gallon.
    10 gallon n.1
    8 glofish maybe depending on speices

10 gallon n.2
    preferable you wont have any fish with him.
    betta
    8 harlequin rasbora

snails doesnt really matter what goes where.
    what type of species are the glofish if you dont know please send a picture

the best option would be to rehome all the fish and start fresh

7. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

The GloFish are GloFish tetras

I also have another problem none of my fish stores within an hour of me have harlequin Rasbora in stock until Monday

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  8. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

So they aren’t skinny ones? Glofish should mean they’re Danios and GloTetra are Tetra. If they are Tetra then they also shouldn’t be in there.

9. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

:emoji_sob::emoji_sob:Okay thanks for the help

10. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

You pretty much answered your own question in the title, you're overstocked. You need to figure out what you can do to fix it. Most stores will take fish back, especially when you tell them that you realized your mistake. Is the snail dead? You can do a sniff test, if it smells like dead fish, it's dead. Or you can move it to another spot and see what happens. I've thought my snails were dead multiple times just to say, "One more day" and the next thing I know the thing is up on the wall again.

As for not having the fish in stock until Monday, that's just a matter of patience. Just wait until Monday, it's not really a problem.

11. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If you can upgrade to a 20 long or a 29 you can stock that with most of the fish you currently have (I would pick either the harlies or the neons as a second school with cory cats on the bottom, with your glofish tetra - they are glofish because that is the ™ part of it, the next part of the name denotes species, since you have a brightly colored fish I would say the harlies over neons in a 20long to 29g tank. This would give you enough space for those fish.
    If you cannot upgrade your next option is rehoming, that way the fish can get a tank with a school as they need.

12. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

Okay thank you I think I will just find a way to get a 29g I really love all my fish and don’t want to get rid of the.

13. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

If u want cheap tanks go on offerup or letgo and find tanks. U can easily find a 20-40gallon with a stand for under $40

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The neons, cories, rasboras, and tetras all need a bigger tank than what you have.

15. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

okay so i just found a tank on letgo for $25 its closer to 11 gallons then it is 10. Here are the dimensions 17” h, 17” l, 10.5" w. Will This work??
    Edit: For just the rasboras

16. Mcasella

Get a larger aquarium that can house your fish. Raboras can get pretty big compared to the juvenile size they are sold at.

17. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

okay thanks i did not know they got any bigger lol.
    I also have 6 fancy guppy fry, will that work for them?

18. Mcasella

It would work for them as long as they all end up one sex.

19. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

okay. Yay! Thank you for all your help. I belive they are all males

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice