5 Gallon Tank Overstocked 5-gal Rescue Mission

Demeterite

I met someone on Facebook Marketplace who is looking to rehome her 6-month old aquarium.

It's one of those 5-gallon Marineland Portrait Blade Light Aquarium Kits. She's giving me all her supplies + the current stocking in the tank for $40 so even though it's not my ideal tank I'm jumping on the deal to get back into the hobby after a few years off. I only had tanks for ~a year and a half before so I'm no expert.

Problem -- the current stocking in the 5-gallon is as follows:

- 1 white cory cat
- 1 neon
- 2 guppies (1 male, 1 female)
- 1 male endler
- 2 serpae tetras
- 1 shrimp

Cories need a grouping of like 6, right and get like 2.5inches so those shouldn't be in a 5...
The neons, albeit tiny, also need a grouping of like 6+
The guppy pairing sounds like a nightmare in a 5-gal
...plus a bonus endler that can breed with them, too? Eesh.
Serpaes also want a full school
...and I don't know why they haven't nibbled up that solo shrimp yet

I won't have any other tanks I can put anyone into for at least a few weeks.

I've never had a 5-gallon before. Are ANY of those okay to keep in there? Aesthetically, I'm not in love with any of them and would rather have had the tank with no critters but she insisted they must come with it.

Thoughts? Advice? Any of you in Nashville want some free fish?

BigManAquatics

Only one of those i would keep in there is the shrimp.

Matthew052248

do you have any friends you can rehome them to? If not in my opinion you can try returning it to a fish store stating what the situation is. if that doesn’t work, I would try to invest in a bigger tank and sell the 5 gallon with everything included.

User1

Y
I met someone on Facebook Marketplace who is looking to rehome her 6-month old aquarium.

It's one of those 5-gallon Marineland Portrait Blade Light Aquarium Kits. She's giving me all her supplies + the current stocking in the tank for $40 so even though it's not my ideal tank I'm jumping on the deal to get back into the hobby after a few years off. I only had tanks for ~a year and a half before so I'm no expert.

Problem -- the current stocking in the 5-gallon is as follows:

- 1 white cory cat
- 1 neon
- 2 guppies (1 male, 1 female)
- 1 male endler
- 2 serpae tetras
- 1 shrimp

Cories need a grouping of like 6, right and get like 2.5inches so those shouldn't be in a 5...
The neons, albeit tiny, also need a grouping of like 6+
The guppy pairing sounds like a nightmare in a 5-gal
...plus a bonus endler that can breed with them, too? Eesh.
Serpaes also want a full school
...and I don't know why they haven't nibbled up that solo shrimp yet

I won't have any other tanks I can put anyone into for at least a few weeks.

I've never had a 5-gallon before. Are ANY of those okay to keep in there? Aesthetically, I'm not in love with any of them and would rather have had the tank with no critters but she insisted they must come with it.

Thoughts? Advice? Any of you in Nashville want some free fish?
Your LFS might be willing to take them for you, but considering the backstory of them they probably won't.

FishDin

I wouldn't do it. You are buying her problems. You'll have to rehome several of the fish AND it's not the tank you really want.

I would get a new tank at Petco's dollar a gallon sale if there is one near you. My local Petco has them several times a year. While you wait you can plan for your new tank: fish, decor, substrate etc. I know patience is always tested in this hobby, but it usually pays off.

I once bought a used 40 breeder for $20. The following week Petco had their sale. I could have had a new 40B for $40, but instead I had an obviously used and scratched one and saved $20
:(. Lesson learned.

kansas

Rehome them all and get a betta. I gave some fish away on craigslist if your lfs won't take them.

Five gallons isn't big enough for anything else except shrimp or snails.

Demeterite

Nevermind anyway she wrote me back and upped her price from what we agreed on last night. I was willing to pay $40 to have the tank (and filter, heater, supplies, etc) for a betta or even just as an isolation tank but her "husband says the fish are worth more than that and won't let it go for that."

kansas

I feel sorry for those fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MudSkipper
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views