Overstocked 36 Gallon?

1. kmb4short Initiate Member

I did the inch per gallon rule for these fish, and I think my 36 gallon tank will be overstocked. Will it be fine?
    1 Angelfish
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5 Cories
    8 Lemon Tetras

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Inch per gallon rule is very bad thing to follow.

That said, I think you're fine.

Could be wrong but I think I saw somebody suggest a setup like this for 36,

2 angels
    1 BN Pleco
    8 cories
    8 lemon tetras

3. Quibbles Member Member

That seems just fine. I don't think you over did it.

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Your stocking is fine but make sure you have warm water cories as the angelfish need a them of 80 degrees, and you could add 1 to 3 more of the same type of cory. The reason that the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water doesn't make sense if you think about it. Try to picture a 36 inch fish living in that tank. What you need to go buy is the bioload of the fish, activity level of the fish, schooling fish need a minimum of 6 fish of the same kind. temperament of the fish. and temperature requirements of the fish. Alison;)

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have the same tank. In my opinion I think your stocking is fine or maybe even a little light.

I'd up the cories to about 8 or 10. They will do better with larger numbers. Do you know what type of cory you want? You'll want to make sure to get a warm water cory. The most common warm water cory's are aeneus and sterbai. Angels like it around 79 or 80. You could probably up your tetra numbers to around 10 as well and it would be fine.

79 or 80 is a little high for BN Pleco's. You could consider swapping it out for a clown pleco instead. But I will defer to aliray on this matter as she knows much more about BN's than I do.

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have BN plecos in both my tanks, one male in my 20 and 2 females in my 30 gal. My tanks run at 78 to 80 depending on the time of the year. They are my all time favorite fish of all of mine. I would stick to the one angel fish so you don't have to deal with mating , egg laying ant the aggression that goes a long with it. Make sure that you get a real piece of driftwood for them to rasp on. There is a thread running currently Plecos!! Share Yours, on page 3 about halfway down I wrote a post on feeding them. .....Alison;)

7. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I agree with everyone else. I also have the same tank and I have:

1 pearl gourami
    11 cherry barbs
    12 espei rasboras
    2 cockatoo cichlids (m/f)

8. kmb4short Initiate Member

Thank you so much, that was very helpful.

9. kmb4short Initiate Member

Has your experience with a BN pleco been good? I'm considering switching to a Queen Pleco, because I want a planted tank.

10. Quibbles Member Member

I had a demonic BN that massacred half my tank, but that is very uncommon, or so I have heard.

11. ashleyb Member Member

It happens! I had an all female group of swordtails and one of the girls was a complete jerk and beat the out of everyone. I've heard that's uncommon too. There's always a wild card out there... Lol.

12. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have never had a problems with my BN plecos being aggressive with other fish. I would not keep more than one in a tank unless it is huge if you don't know the sex. Male and female you will have more babies than you will know what to do with. two males will fight each other for territory. 2 females, peace and harmony. As long as they get their fruits and veggies they don't bother plants...:;hi2 Alison...

13. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I am not familiar with the queen pleco nor it's ultimate size. I will have to look it up. Alison