Overstock? And Adding More Filtration

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Rainbowfish27, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Rainbowfish27

Rainbowfish27New MemberMember

Hello I currently have a 20g tank with 6 mollies, 4 tiger barbs, 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 betta, 1pleco, and 1 shrimp. My tank seems a bit cloudy and I'm thinking it might be due to overstock. Tanks currently running a fluval 50. I have done a 30% water change which helped but I'd like to get my tank crystal clear and my parameters on track. Everything else was good except for the nitrate and nitrites. I don't have specifics as I only have the test strips for now. I'd like to setup a double sponge filter in my tank in addition to my fluval 50. So my question is would it help any?[​IMG]

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

Definitely overstocked. Adding more filters won't exactly help, I'm surprised your ammonia levels haven't been high. Upgrading to a larger tank would suffice.

3. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Firstly, bettas, and gouramis don't mix well. Tiger barbs don't go with bettas either.
    What kind of pleco to be exact? Most plecos need 30 gallons minimum.

Two DG's shouldn't be together as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Rainbowfish27

Darn I honestly when purchasing looked up if they were community fish. All said they were however I didn't know at the time there was more to the compatibility then just being good for community tanks. I'll probably end up moving my betta to its own tank. I do not remember the kind of pleco but I'll look it up. I just know when I purchased I made sure I got fish that'd grow no more then 2-3in tops.

5. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I would put the betta in its own 5 gallon tank. It isn't temp compatible with most communities. Plus they really don't like it very much.

You can keep 1 Dwarf gourami, but having 2 is asking for trouble. Are they male and female?

Stocking isn't about how big they get, it is about bioload and surface area of tank. A 20 gallon long would be fine for some fish, but a 20 gallon tall won't be. All about tank dimensions more than anything.

Your filter is adequate. With it being at 200 gallons per hour, but adding sponge filters won't hurt anything. It will help with added filtration for sure.

What do you have inside your filter? As far as filter media..

6. OP
    OP
    Rainbowfish27

I'm not sure I think one is male and one female but I'm not 100% ea60f4b2397b1bee1c9d3b50fa45ec43.jpg

Also I have foam, carbon, ammonia remover, bio rings, and an extra foam from my previous tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  7. Littlebudda

LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

Be careful with ammonia remover as they lock up ammonia making it unavailable for BB when it gets full you may have a dangerous spike.

It also isn't necessary in a well maintained tank and the space could be better utilised with other media

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

as stated above little bit of stocking issues , bettas should be housed alone with temp at 80f. Tiger barbs can be aggressive and fin nipers especially in low numbers so should be kept 6+. Also regardless of pleco it should be in a 30g minimum but if it is a common pleco then it'll need a 125g+. If it is a male and female gourami that will be fine but two males as they grow will only give problems.

9. OP
    OP
    Rainbowfish27

I still have my previous 10g tank. I'd really like to keep my betta in a community as he has been doing very well with other fish. However I know it's not compatible with some...I plan on rehoming one DG ..but could I possibly place my mollies and betta in the 10 gallon and then get 2 more barbs for my 20g tank?

10. Shadow2331

Shadow2331Valued MemberMember

Tiger barbs are aggressive fishes, they will nip on other fishes, you can keep your betta in a community tank unless it is not showing signs of stress and is happy, but tiger barbs should definitely be separated.

11. JesseMoreira06

Mollies shouldn't be in anything smaller then a 20g and would do much better in a 30g. They are active swimmers with big bioloads and can get anywhere from 2 to 4" unless it's a sailfin molly that can get 6".

I would put the Betta in the 10g with some shrimp and maybe a Nerite snail or two

rehome 1 gourami if possible.

Ideally in the 20g I would also try rehoming the tiger barbs.

12. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Mollies wouldn't do very well in a ten gallon. They actually need a 29 gallon due to their heavy bioload. You could do a betta in the ten gallon, with snails and maybe shrimp. I don't recommend a betta with other fish in anything less then a twenty gallon heavily planted, with very peaceful non nippy, not very colorful fish.

13. OP
    OP
    Rainbowfish27

I'm so confused most say 10g for mollies some say 20g and now 29g ...I really don't want to get any more fish unless I get more barbs so they can successfully school. I'm definitely rehoming the one gourami. Also moving the betta. I've been checking my parameters and they are actually a lot better after the water change a few days ago...I'll be getting the master test soon.

14. Littlebudda

Mollies are going to be 5-6 inches and a 10gal is only 20x10 so that's not a lot of room

15. OP
    OP
    Rainbowfish27

Why is information so variant? The LFS said 2in. Most of the reading I did online said 2in few 2-4in this is the first time I hear 5-6in.

16. mollybabesWell Known MemberMember

sailfins get to 6in

I haven't measured mine, but they probably wouldn't move in my 10 gallon

17. JesseMoreira06

regular mollies will get between 2-4 inches but sailfin mollies will get to 6" , regardless they are active fish with big bio-load and need a large tank , 20g at the very very bare minimum but do better in a 29g/30g.

18. Littlebudda

Always assume that your fish will get to there max size if we try to give them the best conditions they should. 2inchs would be the bare minimum I'd expect from a molly.

As a landscaper I deal with things growing bigger than people expect my advise is the plant label is there to sell the plant 2inchs is what the fish shop needed to sell you a fish and yes a lot of inexperienced keepers would be ok with that as they would be providing less than ideal conditions and in the fish would probably not live to its full life

19. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I want to add into the conversation here it's not always about the size of the adult fish either. Mollies have a big bioload which is why I say 29 gallons, no matter the type. It's just like neon tetras are very active so even though they are very tiny they need at least twenty gallons to swim around in.

20. bopsalot

bopsalotWell Known MemberMember

Hi Rainbowfish27! I think I can help explain. Pet stores and internet sites are typically very inaccurate sources for information about fish. Different people have different motivations and for reasons of SALES, many sources will make fishkeeping appear easier than it is. They'll tell you x fish goes with y, that they can live in any tank size at all, at any temperature between 68-85 degrees. Stuff that's just not true. All to get you to think "yeah, that'll work in my tank". Reliable information is scarce. Sometimes I suspect that the pet store will even lie to you, in hopes that you'll come back later to buy meds, larger tanks and filters, and replacement fish for the inevitable casualties.

I check with the fishlore forum before I attempt anything, anything at all. The good practice guidelines are here on the forum. Reasonably reliable sites for size and temperature info are seriously fish and fishbase , which I believe are peer-reviewed by scientists. I cross-check all info with reliable sites, and check things out with the helpful experienced fishkeepers here on fishlore. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice