Overpopulated?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FEARADDAY, Apr 13, 2017.

1. FEARADDAY

FEARADDAYValued MemberMember

hello everyone, i have a question. i have 4 guppies 1 platy and a corey. is that the limit to how many fish i can have? or is it over the limit?

it s a 10 gallon

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yes. Cories need to be in groups of 6+ of their own kind and need 20 gallons minimum. If you removec the cory i think you'd be fully stocked.

3. A.JNew MemberMember

Try putting it in  . It calculates the stock of your tank.

4. BottomDweller

Aqadvisor is very inaccurate. There are many factors it doesn't take into account. It especially misleading for beginners.

5. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

[​IMG]

6. Edwinstz

EdwinstzValued MemberMember

Yea I'd say you're about well stocked , maybe return the Cory and get some snail / shrimp

7. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

There is also swarms of fry in the breeder net, what should I do with them?

And why is the water cloudy? I did a water change and put in a new filter!

8. BottomDweller

You could sell them or give them away or get a bigger tank. Don't keep them in that tank too long. As they grow their bioload will get bigger and you will become even more overstocked and you'll need to have better filtration and more water changes.

I would get a 20 gallon long, move your adult fish in there then get 5-7 more cories and release the fry jnto your 10 to grow out until you find a home for them.

Is the old filter still running? Did you cycle the new filter?

9. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

[​IMG]

Why is the tank cloudy? The other day it was clean! I did a water change then changed the filter!

10. BottomDweller

So you removed your old filter? If you did you just lost your cycle.

11. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

I'd do a fish-in cycle, or get a larger tank.

12. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

If you changed the filter and replaced everything, you've thrown out your bacteria colony which is probably why your water is cloudy.

13. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

it was cloudy before i changed it, plus if i dont change it the water barely gets through!

14. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

What do you mean "the water barely gets through"?
    There's obviously something going on, since the water is cloudy. For how long has the tank been running? How many hours a day is the lights on? Has the water always been cloudy?

15. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

hello i have a 10 gallon aquarium with 4 guppies 1 platy and a corey cat. plus a breeding net filled with fry. i know it might be overpopulated but i do not overfeed them and if some of the food falls the corey eats it. plus i make a 20% water change once week. is it still to the max? because i maintain it regularly with no exess waste. any ideas? comments?

16. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Yes it is the max!

Cories are a shoaling fish thus they need a minimum group of 6!!! A 10 gallon is too small for any cory. Also corys are not a clean up fish, they need to be fed its one diet, which consist normally of shrimp pellets.

17. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

could i get another cory?

18. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

No, I suggest rehoming it :)

You need at least 5 more to complete the shoal, and a 10 gallon is too small. Even if kept in a pair both with have a shorten life due to lack of socializing and stress from not being in a shoal.

19. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

how can you tell if he is stressed, he just swims around all day! he seems pretty happy

can he interact with the other fish?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  20. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

LOL, many people think their fish isn't stressed or there is no problem if the fish is eating and swimming.

The stress is mental health and sometimes you can see it through behavioral. Through many years in the hobby, we know that corys living by themselves or in less than a group of 5-6 they normally don't live long. Again, corys are a shoaling fish, thus they are more social than schooling fish. Lack of being in a group is detrimental to their health. It is similar if I took a kid and secluded him from the rest of his life from any human interaction. After awhile the kid won't be in the best shape mentally, although behaviorally he will still do normal human things

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice