Overnight Dropsy?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SFGiantsGuy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

3 weeks in my fish-in currently cycling 30 gall. planted tank: .00 ammonia, 1.0 nitirite (Prime and Stability added of course) and 2.0 nitrates. However only about 2 days ago, my readings were as follows: .50 ammonia, 3-5.0 nitrite (yikes! Although toguh to tell as many of you know that API's color correspondence CAN be very vivid!) and a LOT of nitrate, between 40-80! And today when I returned home from work at about 9pm, my Honey Gourami was bloated and his scales were protruding quite badly...so I placed him into my quarantine 10 gal with some epsom salt and a bit of prime...did he have dropsy? He was not like this last night...and he died about 2 hours after I noticed his conditon and when he was in the quarantine tank. : ( I feel really really terrible right now... : (

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Hi, so dropsy are group of symptoms that is caused by bad water condition. Your fish was at big stress with that water parameters and that caused it.
    As my knowledge go, i think that prime can't neutralize that hige levels, and definitely fish wasn't feeling like it would if that was cycled tank.

Because of this, best is to do cycle with empty tank, or eventually to put one two fish after 10-14 days but one that can survive that much stress and that is hardy.

Good luck with your tank

3. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Thank you sir. I'll just hold off until the tank is 100% cycled. It's almost there though...and will be possibly within days here. FYI, This is only the second time I've attempted the fish-in cycling, as I usually opt for "used" media fishles cycling numerous times. Yeah the last time I tryed a fish-in cycle was almost 30 years ago! Technology obviously has advanced very significantly since then!

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Be patient and you will got there very fast. Not problem, i always try to help if i can.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice