Overly Aggressive Female Balloon Molly

Discussion in 'Molly' started by pvnking, Jul 31, 2017.

1. p

pvnking New Member Member

Hey guys! So I currently have a 20g tank with 1 Female Balloon Molly, 1 Female Marbled Molly, a Betta, 3 Ghost Shrimp and 2 African Dwarf Frogs. My tank is pretty well planted with plenty of hiding spots but I've still noticed that my female balloon molly will still go way out of her way to try to attack my Dalmatian molly. She constantly chases her all day back and forth throughout the tank and even lunges at her at full speed. Luckily my Dalmatian molly is much faster then her. I've tried separating them before by putting my balloon in a 10g to "calm down" for a few days. Odd thing is, whenever I add her back to the tank they both act like best friends?? It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen with mollys. Like for a few days after adding her back into the tank they'll swim with each other, sleep in the same decoration and even rub on each other kind of like they're cuddling. But then sure enough my balloon molly will start acting aggressive again. I've thought about getting rid of her but I got both of them together and I've had them for about 8 months now and I'd be really sad if I had to get rid of her at this point. Weird enough they're like kids to me haha. Any advice guys? I'll also include some pics so you can see them!!

377404c9adff49315a29f40c654e5202.jpg

b4fcc2243f4a574476277bd86e325801.jpg

59d4abfee0508230315e90ed021882a4.jpg

9013e1cd894f1f7628c31f7da0aac11c.jpg

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Fish cannot recognize each other, when you seperate them they reset and have to sort out the dominace process all ovee again, everytime you add back the other female, the dalmation is dominant, however you should always keep livebearers in a group of one male to three females adding more fish may sound problematic but it works, you will end up with some aggression at first which is normal, females are very agressive and often squabble, though aggression like this rarely happens in groups, did you buy these mollies together or separate?

3. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

9/10 molly aggression is due to space, the fish feels cramped :)

4. OP
    OP
    p

pvnking New Member Member

I actually had them in a group of 3 females and 1 male molly! Just recently tho I lost both of them (on separate occasions). And I bought them together from the same tank!

5. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

I conquer with the previos comment, perhaps your fish is best left alone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice