MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I got guppies, got aome in December, two pregnant females in January. Over the passed 5 months of this I loved them but now I think “what the heck did I throw myself into!?”.

I have been debating on telling this on the forum for a few weeks but couldn’t bring myself to do it. I’m saying this on a personal level and I am being honest about what I will be saying.

If you have “pest” snails with your guppies take those snails out now. Guppies don’t eat 100% of the food you drop in there (unless it’s bloodworms or something). So in turn the snails eat it and we know how much waste they create so they’ll eat the leftovers before the fry scavenge.
I love guppies but the only way to control their numbers is to starve them, feeding them every 2 days. I didn’t do this in my main tank but with the defects I did this.

I find the aquariums my bettas live in to be cleaner than the tanks I actually vacuum and put effort into. What filter or species of aquatic animals would work best as a cleaner/filter feeder for guppies and platies? Would shrimp help?

Please be respectful when replying!

Here are photos of the tank.
C7C6A0C9-C550-4D01-B24E-BE350B666B91.jpeg
9D45E89A-1F50-4A41-95A9-2D08191BF838.jpeg
5660708C-814D-4E20-A1CF-C05FB86E9DA3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, well feeding the fish every two days isn't really starving them, they can go much longer than that, when I go on holiday for instance mine don't get fed for 2 weeks & they've all been fine on my return. I agree a plague of pest snails can be a real pain so I would deal with that, if you have room you could get some small loaches to eat the snails or some assassin snails to do the same thing & with that many in there you could actually net them & remove them by hand, some shrimp will also help as clean up crew to eat the food on the substrate which the guppies haven't eaten before the snails feed on it & I'd definitely thin out the number of guppies in that tank.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one Otocinclus and I think 7 pygmy Cories. I do have assassin but I think they killed my rabbit foot snail. I had this problem in a previous aquarium where the ramshorn snails will start to hang out way up high where the assassins can’t kill them. I am taking some to a local pet store. I won’t be getting credits/bonus from it as oddly I am “surrendering” them. I might try to hand them over to a PetSmart or PetLand instead of Pisces because they don’t usually have 7 dedicated tanks for guppies that are always stocked.
The tank is a 29 gallon. I will look into getting a couple of my teacher, I mean loaches. I was thinking rosey loaches.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
The assassins can rid your tank of ramshorn snails but you are going to have to help them out. There is no way a few assassins can even put a dent in this many snails. They are breeding faster than the assassins can eat them.

I would be netting out all I could. At the same time I would be hanging some lettuce in there. When it gets covered in snails remove it and all the snails clinging to it with a net.

Once you get the numbers down to a manageable level your assassin snails will be able to keep the numbers down.

Lots of folks here occasionally want to buy pest snails to feed their fish so if you find it difficult to dispose of the snails just offer them up for sale. They are simple to ship. Wrap in a wet paper towel, put it in a ziploc bag or two and then into a bubble envelope.

In the meantime just put the ones you remove from this tank into a container of some kind (I use a 2.5 gallon jar I had sitting around). It has no filter but I do run an airstone in it and have pothos growing out of the top. The jar is filled with roots.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the assassin snails are still full from the rabbits foot snail... How long is recommended to keep snails in confinement without other animals? I tried a snail-only tank and it flopped so hard we were gagging when cleaning it out. It fully died off while I was on vacation and I was vague with the care for my fish. My older betta hunts snails but only ones the size of a phone’s back camera. While I’m at this I should mention we all know how notorious for clogging syphons and vacuums. They also get in the way when I am using a net to catch guppies.I found out one favourite of ramshorn snails to be bell pepper tops/stems. I’ll try to use lettuce but it has a tendency to melt. I might buy more assassins, add wood, add pest snails, in a jar and see how much they eat in 3 days and if they do lay any eggs. I don’t have any eggs yet. Also do rosy loaches work for cleaning and hunting?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I were you honestly ide learn how to ship live and post it in the BSTF section... you have some pretty good looking guppies and puffer owners would help with taking them off your hands I’m sure

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow that is insane and yet beautiful! Hmm maybe I can take a few next week when we go down to banff lol. Try kijji if you must do free or like 5 guppies for $1. (Big Als does like 3.99 for a single guppy)

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Normally guppies cost $2 anywhere so I might be pricing them at 40 cents. The indigo wild type/iridescent white crosses at $3 because they are stunning. I’ve been meaning to put ads up on Kijiji but I procrastinate plenty. The only two fry that I’m keeping are Phosphor and Rotten Bananners, plus my adults. Also I agree 100% with you all about the number of fish. Trust me in those photos they were all begging for food and it’s shocking to see how many come. I actually can pick up up to 5 of them they are so used to me.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the assassin snails are still full from the rabbits foot snail... How long is recommended to keep snails in confinement without other animals? I tried a snail-only tank and it flopped so hard we were gagging when cleaning it out. It fully died off while I was on vacation and I was vague with the care for my fish.
I have had my ramshorns in this 2.5 gallon jar for a couple of years now. I feed them mainly iceberg lettuce. using it makes it easy to remove a few to feed to my assassins. The lettuce leaf floats. The snails come up for a bite and I can just lift the lettuce out and pick off a few of them. Occasionally I do feed them a pinch of fish flakes, some freeze dried blood worms or a few shrimp pellets to give them a bit of protein. .

I do water changes on the snail jar just like I do for my fish tanks. Sometimes I do it every other week though instead of every week. As long as you feed them and keep their water fairly clean they should thrive in their own home.

I’ll try to use lettuce but it has a tendency to melt. I might buy more assassins, add wood, add pest snails, in a jar and see how much they eat in 3 days and if they do lay any eggs. I don’t have any eggs yet. Also do rosy loaches work for cleaning and hunting?
The lettuce in my snail jar doesn't have time to melt. The snails clean it up in a hurry.

I don't know anything about rosy loaches so can't answer that question.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got Omega One colour enhancement pellets and betta pellets, would those work? I only have 2L jars, so will I need to do more work?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update on the tank:
I just checked my Fluval C3 50 gallon filter and I found some of why the water was tainted. Everything was covered with a brown/black sludge or slimy paste. I only had step/component 3 so I had to buy replacements for the other 4 components. Bought that filter 2 weeks ago and now I see this is a larger problem than just my laziness. When vacuuming with the head of the vacuum slightly pressed into the substrate, I found tons of waste.
I need to work a little harder to fix this tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update on the tank:
I just checked my Fluval C3 50 gallon filter and I found some of why the water was tainted. Everything was covered with a brown/black sludge or slimy paste. I only had step/component 3 so I had to buy replacements for the other 4 components. Bought that filter 2 weeks ago and now I see this is a larger problem than just my laziness. When vacuuming with the head of the vacuum slightly pressed into the substrate, I found tons of waste.
I need to work a little harder to fix this tank.
That doesn't surprise me with having that many snails in there. They are poop machines.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah that's 100% true, lol. In the betta tanks they barely get food so they don't reproduce or create lots of waste.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got new plants while I was out at Pisces, they look nice in the 29 gallon tank. I can't hand any guppies to my cousin due to his aquarium housing a high amount of fish. I can't remember how old he is but he might be in grade 5. I can't give my guppies safely to a friend for what her twin (trustworthy brother) informed me about. Turns out last month she got several telescope-eyed goldfish, placed them in a 5 gallon or 10 gallon tank, all died due to improper care. One got stuck and roasted from the heater, swim bladder disease, improper diet/enclosure, lack of beneficial bacteria, no water changes, etc. So the guppies will be held until I can find them a suitable customer to take some, or a friend or someone that would take them into a humane environment.

derpychicken

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the same problem with ramshorn snails, just not to that degree. I only see maybe 20 out during the day, but when its night, holy **** they are EVERYWHERE. My tank is heavily planted and has lots of decor, and the snails seem to hide in there. Also, I got some cories to feed on the eggs just to see if they would, and I don't know if it is only me, but I feel like there have been less snails out and about.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 38.5%

Top Bottom